'93 Aero into '92 non-turbo. - Page 4 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Customizing Your Saab 9000

Customizing Your Saab 9000 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #61
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
it may fit without moving the rad, there is a lot of room behind the bumper on these cars

worst case just get one thats only 2.5 thick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #62
Avid TSL User

it's in!... sorta

okay, here we go again After an easy install, I took the car around the block and guess what?! Pinion bearing whine in 5th and 4th gear!!!! Just my luck, rofl. So, what do you guys think I should do? Drop in another pnp tranny and take my chances, or try to build a good unit out of the three (sigh) broken ones I have. Can we even buy new bearings/ parts anywhere?

The good news is the spec stage 2+ clutch seems friggen awesome. The engagement is a little grabbier than stock but not nearly as bad as it could be. No chatter or noises either but we'll see how it goes after the break-in period.

I also installed the pro-parts poly tranny bushing just because it was so cheap with free shipping. If it's anything like their poly alternator bushings for the c900 then I should be replacing it soon with a powerflex one.

Thats all for now, the money I was saving to do the fmic is going to the tranny now so that project is on hold for a while...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #63
Avid TSL User

Well, I went and did it...

Saab 8825192 Genuine Factory Original Transaxle | eBay

1260 for a brand new tranny was just too good to pass up. Looks like its got the gearing from a 91-92 9000 turbo so can anyone tell me what to expect for the final drive?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #64
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by john85020 View Post
Well, I went and did it...

Saab 8825192 Genuine Factory Original Transaxle | eBay

1260 for a brand new tranny was just too good to pass up. Looks like its got the gearing from a 91-92 9000 turbo so can anyone tell me what to expect for the final drive?
Nice. Good to know that there are a few brand new ones left!

3.04:1

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black (Twins!)
Also Caring for: '02 9-3 SE, '91 9000T, '97 9000CSE, '98 9000CSE, '99 9-5, '00 9-5
Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #65
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantinne View Post
Nice. Good to know that there are a few brand new ones left!

3.04:1
Yep, I just off the phone with the parts department. Looks like this is legit, and they just lowered the price another 30%. So like $900 for a brand new tranny.

The FD for this box is confusing the f out of me. I saw where Quasimotors has 3.04 like you listed but that would make the old box longer then the Areo boxes with the 3.61. I read somewhere else that it should contain the 4.05 fd which would be in between the Aero and Non-turbo boxes I'm use to.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #66
Avid TSL User

sorry for not updating you guys on the tranny, but I wanted to take some good pictures and haven't had time to clean up the car.

I did get the trans from Saab. It turned out to be a reman which is fine for the cost. one thing to point out, the trans was extremely notchy at first but seems to have settled in nicely. I might try a different fluid instead of the Pennzoil syncromesh to see if that improves things even further.

I've got 300 miles on the spec clutch and its definitely gotten more grabby. It takes a bit of feathering of the clutch to get a smooth launch in first and a smooth shift to second. Still not terrible though.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #67
Avid TSL User

How long does it take to kill a Saab remanned tranny?

Not long apparently. Seems ever since I put sticky tires on, transmissions have become a wear item. I guess that's the price of traction in second gear!

Anyways that inspired me to get this which is now my daily driver:

I was ready to give up on the 9000 but after a cool off period, its still going strong with another used tranny. I may be upping the hp quite a bit now that it's not daily driven, and I've become somewhat of an expert at replacing the 9000 trans:\

Old 03-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #68
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Hey guys, I know this is an old post but I had noticed that there isn't any pictures anymore (sad face).

I'm also working on the same project with my 92 (been years now) except for the interior. I wanted to know if the pin out is difficult and what would one do to deactivate the TCS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.