Racing seat in 9000 aero? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Customizing Your Saab 9000

Customizing Your Saab 9000 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Racing seat in 9000 aero?

i was curious.. because i seriously want a racing seat just for the drivers side in my aero... i just want that Race feel ya know? now my question is... what is the cheapest but nicest way to go? and how much would be it be to install by a mechanic... or better yet how hard would it be to do yourself? thanks guys.
better yet.. would this look good? i can pick it up for 150$! it comes with the bracket and its for sale in my area... would this sit too low?

Last edited by classifiedsaab9000; 01-21-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: picture added
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Elder

It's gonna look real weird only one seat like that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Oh i know but do you think it would be comfortable? lighten up the car a little and i only want it for me i have the full black aero interior so it wouldn't look too weird...and are these expensive to fabricate... i mean taking the electrical and everything out of the stock seat would that be hard to do and or costly?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Well if you're getting rid of the whole driver's seat, you don't need to take any of the electrical parts off it. Just take the whole seat out, it's four large torx bolts, a couple electrical plugs, and a seatbelt bolt. What are you doing for a seatbelt, though? The 9000 seatbelt latch, as well as the lower anchor, both bolt to the seat frame. It doesn't look that comfortable to me, certainly not compared to a regular or Aero 9000 seat. But I suppose looks could be deceiving. The only real way to know is to sit in it for a few hours.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

so i would have to take the entire assembly out? i wouldn't be able to keep the stock seatbelt?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Elder

Correct you will not be able to use the stock seat belt.

And on top of that you "will need" to get it professionally fitted to you and only you. So the seat the proper height length and all that stuff.

I say stick with the Aeros, and use the $$ for an MBC.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
I would be glad to take your areo seats off your hands if you do change out the seats... Those things are comfy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 01-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I think the biggest hurdle you'll run into is the seat rails/brackets themselves.

If you're going to do something like that, at least get two matching seats!

I'd talk to Aerodynamic...she's got non-oem seats in her 9k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
The length isn't an issue as you can see in the picture its on slider rails. So the height and pitch of the seat would need to be custom fitted to you.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
you are going to have to spend pretty huge money to get better than the stock aero seats, if you were to buy a comparable Recaro for example, with power and leather and all, it wouldnt be crazy for it to cost in excess of $2000 a seat. now does it make sense to replace that with a $150 seat? ya think its gonna be more comfortable than the $2000 recaro it allready has? Its not gonna be.

Paul

Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

I know my aero seats are comfortable im just saying i want a more of a Race look because im currently working on a front mount project and doing much more to the suspension and engine and i want that race feel and look... it would just feel badass to open the door and sit in the #1 brand race seat company worldwide haha.... would it cost alot to have this fabricated in my vehicle?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to Max_Power
It's not so difficult as you think to create your own seat rails from pieces of steel.
I did something similar in a totally different car... still the process was the same...
I got two matching seats, I masked the vinyl surfaces and then dyed them in the interior color of my car (tan)...after that I created seat rails. You can use the adjustable seat rails in the driver's seat and you can have the passenger seat bolted on the floor.
If you want to see the process take a look here...
The seats as they look when I bought them
http://bluelaguna94.myphotoalbum.com...umName=album43

seat rails and masking of the seats + paint
http://bluelaguna94.myphotoalbum.com...umName=album46

Final stages
http://bluelaguna94.myphotoalbum.com...umName=album47
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00672_Large.sized.jpg (77.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg mask.sized.jpg (67.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg seat rails.jpg (75.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg first layer.jpg (76.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg final.jpg (77.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg final2.jpg (85.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Originally Posted by classifiedsaab9000 View Post
I know my aero seats are comfortable im just saying i want a more of a Race look because im currently working on a front mount project and doing much more to the suspension and engine and i want that race feel and look... it would just feel badass to open the door and sit in the #1 brand race seat company worldwide haha.... would it cost alot to have this fabricated in my vehicle?
well if it makes you feel better, most people think that Recaros are better seats, and thats what your car allready has...

Paul

Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Anonymous User
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
well if it makes you feel better, most people think that Recaros are better seats, and thats what your car allready has...

Paul
aero seats are made by recaro?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #15
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Yes.

I thought you were poor or something?

Aero seats are the shit.

Keep in mind your car weighs lots, so it's never going to have a "race feel".
Old 01-21-2008, 11:26 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
"race feel"

come on.... dont do that man. My biggest regret is takin out my aero interior. I wouldnt go back - not in this car, but man do I miss it. If you take your seats out just for a "race feel" im not giving you any more advice.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.