Viggen antenna install - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3

Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Viggen antenna install

Switching from the power unit to the roof mount. I know gs stopped selling vig antennas a while ago. They used to be dirt cheap like 15 bucks. I looked up some the other day and they were like 100! Any cheap ways to get one again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
The expensive ones are amplified. Do a quick search, I swear part numbers were discussed recently.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I think some people were using VW or Mazda ones. Nick was selling the ones offered thru Speedparts.se.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Ero
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

How does one do that swap, wouldn't you have to run the antenna cable to where the onstar antenna is now, through the roof lining and everything?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

yep, but my car ( 99 9-3) had no on star so you would need to drill a hole. a great tutorial found here.... http://www.saablink.net/forum/tutorials/1305-2.htm

what is the difference between the amplified versions and the standard viggen version?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I believe the Viggen one is amplified. The cheap ones are not amplified so less range.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

okay at the moment i am simply exploring my options. i really dis like the power mast unit on the side of the car. mine gets really bad reception and it makes my car look like an rc car haha. maybe a sharkfin on the roof? anyone have pictures of modified antenna setups?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #8

You can get adapters, but check the connections on your radio first. I think the 9-3's would have the coaxial amplified connector, but my 900 had the typical male female connector. A stock Viggen antennae is going to have the coaxial connector, where as the knock offs,, most likely will have the male/female type connector.

I get way better reception without amplification from my antennae.

Vig style Antennae on 900

Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master

I think that even the Viggen's original antenna had the signal and amplifier wires separate. VW seems to be the only company that combines them into one. I used to have a Metra 44-UA46, which mounts in a round or square hole, and has separate power and signal wires, so it was easy to install. It lasted a couple of years before the amplifier crapped out. Right now I have a VW amplified roof antenna, but I had to get the antenna cable out of a VW to wire it up (their bases use a proprietary connector), along with an adapter to separate the power and signal wires. My thought is that now it's relatively cheap to replace the base or gasket since VW antenna bases are so common.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

so as long as the fitting is the same as a 9-3's i can get any roof mount antenna like a small shark fin correct?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

i am think about installing a windscreen antenna, and see how i like it. do 9-3 SE's defiantly have coaxial connection?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by acf101 View Post
i am think about installing a windscreen antenna, and see how i like it. do 9-3 SE's defiantly have coaxial connection?
After reading this again, i might be thinking about the back of the actual stereo. Either way I bought an adapter for like 5 bucks on ebay. It's easy enough to check by pulling the truck lining to the side...
Old 12-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by acf101 View Post
so as long as the fitting is the same as a 9-3's i can get any roof mount antenna like a small shark fin correct?
Shark fins aren't really any good at picking up radio stations. They're more for GPS and cell phone use. A regular 9-3 has separate antenna power and signal connections. The antenna power connection is in the ISO connection block, and the car uses a European ISO antenna connector, the same as VWs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.