Saab Catalog Kit for the ng900 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3

Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Saab Catalog Kit for the ng900

Well since no one has written about how to do this, I was thinking that this thread could be used for me to spread the information on how this is done and have some pictures of the process.

Here's a taste of whats to come...

I'm not sure when I'll have the chance to put it on, maybe next weekend, but then I plan on molding it and then having it painted.

Total so far: $352.02 (the kit + shipping)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2005, 09:38 AM   #2
Admin
Elder

Send a message via AIM to snow4_1man
Hey Mark i'm glad you made this post, i just bought the catalog kit yesterday 2door. I cant wait to get it on. I know its going to take a bit of molding back and forth, keep this page updated as i will with my kit. It should come sometime this week.
99 LTB Vig - Awesome Rally Crash! - RIP
99 LTB Vig - Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-08-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
Elder

Where are you guys getting this kit from? Saabcatalog.com??

Thanks for finally posting a picture of what the kit actually looks like BEFORE it is installed. I always wondered how it looked and now I can see how it attaches to the existing bumper...

So much for everyone waiting to get a custom body kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-08-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
Elder

I bought mine off a guy who had bought it a while ago and never installed it and was buying a house so he wouldnt have the time or money to get it on. It was 300 for the kit then 52 to ship it greyhoud since the box was huge!!!

www.saabusa.com then go to the accories section, its under there. Lists for 386 new.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
Admin
Elder

Ya i got mine for that price plus like 15 for shipping. Not to bad of a deal, its a better deal if you own a 9-3 because then you don't need to get everything molded.
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Old 05-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
Elder

How so?

Old 05-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #7
Admin
Elder

The Catalog kit is meant for the 9-3 bumpers, because it fits over them Perfect. With the ng900 bumpers, the main problem is the front bumper you have to deal with. Because our bumper tends to curve in towards the car, and the 9-3 bumpers are more flat in the front, therefore making it hard to install on a ng900.
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Old 05-08-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
Elder

Does anyone know how much body filler will be needed to complete the job? I know that it will be for the front and back bumpers only. I also plan on removing the chrome stripes and will be filling them in as well.

Will 1 gallon suffice?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:57 PM   #9
Elder

So is the stock bumper underneath that new front bumper?

Old 05-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #10

Good question...

Mark, can you post a pic of the front? The IC opening looks smaller than the stock opening and I'm curious to see whether it is....

looks sweet tho...I might need to grab one...
Old 05-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
The front opening is a little smaller. I would say half an inch on the top and the bottom. The biggest problem for me is that on the new skin there are some small dimples that work as guids on where to drill for the license plate frame. As I live in Maine where these things are required, I had to install it. I discovered afterwards that this relocated my plate about 2 inches lower than originally. Now it blocks this opening. Just a consideration so you guys could maybe try to do some suctom work to get a better opening there.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
Admin
Elder

Mark, Iím going to be using more fiberglass then body filler. The filler is going to be a little heavy, and your going to need a lot in the front if you use filler, Fiberglass might be harder to work with but I think overall, Iím using about 98% fiberglass the rest filler.

The Catalog kit fits right over the stock bumper Rob. I'm going to be cutting the bottom half of my bumper off because I donít want all that weight. I only need enough bumper to attach the kit on securely.

Mike, the kit holes look a little bit small, but there are also side holes next to the middle. I donít think its going to be any more restrictive then the stock bumper. Although I think the stock one might be a little bit bigger. I guess there is a trade off, looks vs. airflow. I;m willing to take the trade as i cant stand the looks of the stock bumper.

Stromer, why don't you just move the plate over to the side? Fill in the holes the screws made and more the plate on the very side, its not the law that it has to be directly in the middle of the bumper. Because the hole is alrady smaller having the plate there is almost no air going to the IC.
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Old 05-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #13

Damn, that looks good.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I'm glad you had the good pics to show, I couldn't find mine and its getting dark here!

Yeah, I could move it I guess. I dunno, I'm not too concerned with it right now. Maybe after I get the cross-flow put in I'll figure something out. I do wish I hadn't drilled the holes!!

I saw this at HIN, and thought it would be a good way to sqeak through the law:

I could fold it down quite a bit to let the flow in. If I rigged it up just right I could probably have the plate pretty much horizontal. But the plate would still be there!
Old 05-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #15
Elder

If I got this kit, I might be able to finally fit some 3" intake piping to the front of the radiator area...

Old 05-08-2005, 08:23 PM   #16
Flirting With TSL Addiction

looks good, I was never a fan of that NG900 front bumper
Old 05-08-2005, 08:23 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

The only one I can find is the one listed for the 9-3 classic here:

http://www.saabcatalog.com/retail/ca...=02%2D68%2D458

Is that the same one (that will fit on the ng900)?

What's involved in installing it? Screwing it on? I could get it painted by my friend for the cost of paint, so it looks like a great deal if I can install it myself . If I hadn't just spent $600 on that AC compressor and junk I'd get it right now .

Black 1997 Saab 900 SE Turbo, \'Akumo\':

Old 05-09-2005, 04:32 AM   #18
Elder

Yeah thats the one.

There some drilling and prepping work that needs to be done (removing the wax, and cleaning the bumpers)

Its held on by some screws and very sticky 3m double sided tape. But it is also highly reccomended to get some tape primer to help it stick to the bumper better.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #19
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

man where have i been.....................

we are talking Saab catalog kit and im no where to be found

im surprised so many of you have bought the kit, i tried selling them a while back and got lots of interest but i guess funds weren't available back then.

Sideskirts are a direct swap, EASY
Front Skin (modification required for NG900) DIFFICULT - definately recommend gettin it molded
Rear Skin (light modification required) MEDIUM - i would also recomment this be molded also after time with the heat from the sun will cause the tape to to do funky things and make the bumper look "wavy"

I got pics posted all over this site and on the SC site, let me know if you have any questions, i'll do my best to answer them!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:19 AM   #20
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to slabr900
I've been through the same process and "dasaabguy" pretty much sums it up perfect but I cannot stress enough to get the front bumper molded to get the best results....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.