19" or 20" rims on a 99-02 9.3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3

Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

19" or 20" rims on a 99-02 9.3

ok Im sure there will be a few out of there that say im nuts or the wont fit or look bad but everyone has 18"'s now I want something that will set me apart from the pack so that said has anyone seen these or know of anyone that has them, im trying to find out what tire size I would need and the max width of the wheel, and if they had any issue other than the car riding like shit lol
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

you could swith it up with the size 20 in the back 19 in the front give it a good stance the sell a plastic tool that bolts onto the hub it will give you the specs you need for back space and inside width but difrent is allways better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 saab 9-5 JZW STAGE 5
2001viggen 5 door
2000 saab 9-3 vert jzw stage 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sold parted out
1972 nova 396 BB

2008 LINCOLN MKX ELITE

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALDSAAB View Post
you could swith it up with the size 20 in the back 19 in the front give it a good stance the sell a plastic tool that bolts onto the hub it will give you the specs you need for back space and inside width but difrent is allways better

I know the offset is 35 im just wondering the max width you can you use seeing as most 20's are super wide

Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Elder

You cant go more than 8" in width on any size rim with these cars without being content with alot of rubbing. Then again, you will have severe issues with rubbing if you want to try and run 20's not to mention fitment issues. Just FYI, you might have to get very creative with the wheel well to fit it.

|
|
Old 05-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I would stick to 19's, not sure there would be enough sidewall if you would go with a 20 in rim. There are pics floating around of NG900/9-3's with 19's & I think it looks great!

I wanted to throw 19's on my viggen it's just a lack of money is keeping me on my stock viggen rims.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
ng900/9-3's looks best with smaller wheels... not giant humongo wheels.

I had 16x8" wheels, and they rubbed... good luck w/ 20's =0[

Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
i have 17x8's and they are about perfect. when i went with 18's for a couple weeks i had quite a bit of rubbing.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
ng900/9-3's looks best with smaller wheels... not giant humongo wheels.

I knew there would be a few huge wheel haters out there lol, I just want it to be different and personally like the look of huge rims stuffed in the fender walls, I guess ill be the first one to have to try might be a very expensive mistake, and how much rubbing are we talking?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Elder

i had a good amount of the inner plastic lining burned up pretty good. almost through, but not all the way. with 20's i would think you would have to start modifying the fender wells. but you can always try, ironjoe managed to fit 18's on his c900 with minimal rubbing iirc.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Hey someone always has to be the Guinea pig right, heres what I'm struggling with it would actually cost more money and have less selection for 19's which is nuts
Old 05-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
WASSAB Member

Send a message via AIM to Immo Send a message via MSN to Immo Send a message via Yahoo to Immo Send a message via Skype™ to Immo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABPRO View Post
I just want it to be different and personally like the look of huge rims stuffed in the fender walls, I guess ill be the first one to have to try might be a very expensive mistake

I'd lower the car before I put 19's or 20's on.

2002 9-3 Viggen Convertible (Silver w/Blue Top)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8

Last edited by Immo; 05-21-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

I have the complete koni sport kit in route as we speak
Old 05-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
WASSAB Member

Send a message via AIM to Immo Send a message via MSN to Immo Send a message via Yahoo to Immo Send a message via Skype™ to Immo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABPRO View Post
I have the complete koni sport kit in route as we speak
See what it looks like with a 17 or 18 on it after it is lowered....

BTW once it is lowered, it will be that much harder to do 19 or20" wheels....

2002 9-3 Viggen Convertible (Silver w/Blue Top)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8

Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

I kno I have 2 sets of 17s with tires and 2 sets of 18s with tires i will be selling if i decide to go with 20's I just cant help my desire to really want huge rims on it lol
Old 05-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Aerolike9 Send a message via MSN to Aerolike9
there are a bunch of guys running around with viggens with 18s on it and they look great and have no rub, when we tried to put 18s on my moms old 9-3 she had a lot of rubbing issues, i agree with paul, 17s with lowering looks the best
1999 Saab 9-3-SOLD
1998 Saab 9000CSE-Sold
2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen Vert- Sold
Saab 9-5
Old 05-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
Elder

test fitted some 18's and nexan tires on the viggen yesterday.

before:

After:

Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
I only had rubbing issues in the back. For $150 they tweaked the lip from the unibody that was causing the rubbing and now all is well. If I have people in the backseat and the car is loaded and I hit a BIG dip, I might have a small rub.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #18
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
Then again, you will have severe issues with rubbing if you want to try and run 20's not to mention fitment issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
I'm sure the original poster knows, but these statements are not necessarily true if you get the correct width, offset and tire size.

Now, going in and comparing stock overall diameter fitment (using 225/45R17 as the "stock" size) to something that would be comparable on a 20" fitment you would need something like a 225/20R20, which would still be a slightly taller tire. You could seek out sizes that are a bit narrower with the same sidewall ratio to make the overall diameter the same...but good luck with that!

In the end you will have a tiny rubber band tire and you will probably have to avoid lowering the car unless you want to do some inner fender trimming and rear fender rolling. In my opinion its pretty obvious that it CAN be done, it just might not look "correct" on the car. I'd be interested to see the results.

My main fear is that most people who want to go for 20" wheels and the like usually have a style that centers on dumb looking chrome ghetto wheels that look at home on a donk. If they are something like a BBS LM or a "classy" wheel it might end up kind of cool. Give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post
i had a good amount of the inner plastic lining burned up pretty good. almost through, but not all the way. with 20's i would think you would have to start modifying the fender wells. but you can always try, ironjoe managed to fit 18's on his c900 with minimal rubbing iirc.
Exactly. IronJoe proved that with the correct offset, not just buying blind and guessing, actually crunching the numbers (which takes all of a few minutes with tire size and offset calculators after you have some base numbers/measurements to go off of) you can fit as large of a wheel as you desire as long as you can find a tire that gives the same or similar overall rolling diameter and width as the biggest stock fitment stuff. Possibly even bigger if you know what you are doing.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

so 225 20 would be what im looking for i dont think they make those lol any other suggestions
Old 05-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #20
JK
Elder

I suggest picking a few tires and looking at the sizes available in a 20" diameter. You can do this on tire rack and probably other websites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.