Picked up a set of Super Aeros.. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum > Customizing Your Classic 900

Customizing Your Classic 900 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
TSLMember

Picked up a set of Super Aeros..

For 80 bucks with tires. 16" 4 lug Super Aero with Kumho Ecsta Supra tires.

SPG springs in the front.

What do you think?

Getting some nice rubbing in the back with 205-55-16 tires. Going to pick up a set of 205-50-16 pretty quick here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Moderator

Send a message via AIM to jk88
Looks great. I just put Supers on my car too, with 205/50s. No rubbing except with a full load of gear over XL bumps on the highway.

88 900T Convertible @ 99K, SD APC, 3.0 FPR, TE05, 3" TB w/ Magnaflow, Lesjofors/Konis, Scanwest Built Trans, 16" Cross Spokes
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
looks nice! Having had several sets, I have never been a fan of Kumhos - however at that price, good buy & well worth it! Run em for a while, and buy better tires.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabHat93 View Post
For 80 bucks with tires. 16" 4 lug Super Aero with Kumho Ecsta Supra tires.

SPG springs in the front.

What do you think?

Getting some nice rubbing in the back with 205-55-16 tires. Going to pick up a set of 205-50-16 pretty quick here.
That looks great! More pictures of that car please!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to DanF.
Looks sweet. Good snag on the set/tires.

'02 540i 6MT
USMC '02-'06
Old 05-16-2010, 05:23 AM   #6
Elder

Wicked.

Nice find.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Ironjoe would be proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Looks good!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #9

Jealous ....
85 900T sedan,
91 900T Cabrio
95 9000 Aero,
89 900T vert,
85 SPG
Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

What a terrific find~

You certainly did VERY well scoring the Super Aeros and tires. They look great on your 900. If you are going to replace the rubber with 50-sereis, I'd strongly suggest Yokohama or Goodyear vs. Kumho for the money. Both score very well with Tire Rack customers and reviewers for Ultra High Performance All Season tires.

When I bought my 2001 Viggen vert in 2006, I started out with Kumho Ecsta ASX UHP A/S tires based on reviews and recommendations. Sadly, I got more noise and less wear than anticipated. After less than two years, I had to replace them and chose Yokohama AVID W4 UHP A/S tires. Now, after more than two years, I love the Yoko's results; quiet, great grip, excellent wear...can't beat 'em.

Unfortunately, I can't find Yoko AVID W4s in 205/50x16" for my '93 900 Turbo Commemorative Edition's Super Aeros. So, it'll either be Goodyear Eagle GT's for UHP A/S tires or Yokohama S Drive UHP Summer tires (I have the Comm. Ed. 15" wheels for winter use).

1987 900 Turbo Vert (my 1st SAAB) SOLD
2001 9.3 Viggen Vert (DelaViggen)
1993 900 Turbo Commemorative Edition #286 (DE900CE)
Old 05-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #11

80 bucks is a steal! I'd sell the tires on ebay and buy better tires than Kuhmo. I've had three sets at different sizes and I only get 5000 out of them before they cup. Then they are noisy and need rotated every thousand miles. I would not buy them again.

I've been buying used tires from ebay. I run 195/50/16 on my aeros and the car loves them. I'm a huge fan of dunlops. Last set I got were under 200 bucks and they looked like new. Plus there were NICE tires costing 170 a piece new. So now i'm spoiled and would never want to go back to cheap tires.

Dunlop sp sport 5000 in 195/50/16's are a nice quite tire and get tons of life. Not a good all season, but great for summer.

I run dunlop 401s 195/50/16 now and I liked them so much I have extra in the garage. They don't make them anymore, but they are the perfect tire for looks and no rubbing. If you're thinking of 205 you might want to go with a 45 sidewall. ? I've not had good experience with 205's so i'll only get 195, but lots of people are running them without issues.

Man I wish I had found those for 80 bucks! that's crazy... nice find
Old 05-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
User
Elder

Garage
Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Definitely a damn good find! 20 bucks per wheel w/ tires is unheard of.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Agh, I want super aeros.

Car looks good!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
amazing deal on those wheels. want to make some money and sell them to me for $90?

as far as rubbing goes.....i have 225/45's on mine. they rub like senior citizens when "in the mood" plays.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
User
Elder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgproject View Post
amazing deal on those wheels. want to make some money and sell them to me for $90?

as far as rubbing goes.....i have 225/45's on mine. they rub like senior citizens when "in the mood" plays.
205/45 is the optimal size for Super Aero's or Polished lip Aero's... No rubbing and they look and perform good. I think anything larger than a 45 looks like a balloon and is more apt to rub... 50 doesn't look too bad and supposedly they don't rub, but I would still suggest 205/45's...

Old 05-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
yes, smaller tires are on the shopping list.

also, delaviggen mentioned winter wheels for a commemorative vert? *smack* we store those cars in the winter or else someday, there won't be any left.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

The 205/50x16 is the recommended size for the Super Aeros but may rub in the rear if the car is loaded down (back seat passengers and luggage/golf clubs). I'd be a bit concerned about 45 series extending out the wheel wells a bit and possibly contacting the trim. Anyone have 205/45x16s on an SPG?

Old 05-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #18
TSLMember

Thanks guys. I'm really happy with them. I've wanted a set of these rims since before I got the car and fining a set with tires in good condition was a awesome.

Not a lot of Kumho love I see. I got a set of AST for my 9-3 SE a few years ago and I was really happy with them. Super grippy, but a little on the harsh side, which was alright with me. I'm getting a set of ASX I liked them so much. I wanted the Solus KR22, which had a 100k warranty, AAA temp/traction and 800 rated treadware, but they didn't make them in 205-50-16. The tires I had on my manhole covers were Falkien something or other POS cheapos, so this was a MAJOR step up. The entire ride changed from a wallowing, harsh, loud, understeering nightmare to a smooth, grippy, quiet, handling monster. The Kumho's on the Aeros are pretty much done with. On the border of unusable.

Definitely not worth selling or keeping.

The rims themselves have a lot of curb rash and two of them have chips, but as you can see from the pic above it's not obvious until you get close.

This is probably the best one in terms of rash/chips.

And a couple different angles with them on.

Still need to get off my lazy ass and take that upper rub strip off the driver's side..
Old 05-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Actually, my Commemorative is a 3-door ('93) and not "finished" yet. Once that happens (hopefully next year), I may have to reconsider what to drive in the winter months...especially if we get another like this past winter. However, I'm still planning to swap the 16s off the car for the cold weather season.

When your SAABs are a Viggen vert and a 900 Comm. Ed., it can be tough deciding which is the "bad weather" car. However, they're all built to withstand the cold...right?

Last edited by DelaViggen; 05-16-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
User
Elder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaViggen View Post
The 205/50x16 is the recommended size for the Super Aeros but may rub in the rear if the car is loaded down (back seat passengers and luggage/golf clubs). I'd be a bit concerned about 45 series extending out the wheel wells a bit and possibly contacting the trim. Anyone have 205/45x16s on an SPG?
Yes, lots of airflow SPG's and 900's are running 205/45/16 with no rubbing whatsoever. 45's wouldn't extend as it has a lower profile than the 50. The middle number is the profile, the width is the first number.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.