spg panel rubber trim? who sells them? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum > Customizing Your Classic 900

Customizing Your Classic 900 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

spg panel rubber trim? who sells them?

and how close are they to the originals? i only need to replace the rubber trim on one door panel. so i want to find a good match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Elder

Not available any more.

Which panel do you need the weatherstrip for? I just did mine with a modified off-the-shelf molding from an online supplier. It is made of rubber so it won't get stiff or brittle over time. I had to improvise a special tool to cut off the extra liitle bit that I didn't need for the SPG panel weatherstrip profile. It took a while to make the tool, it has to consistently cut the exact same amount off on every strip--no small task.

I just did my SPG panels I'm installing. It looks really good on the car. Very similar to OEM in size and shape. Jon Williams has used an off-the-shelf product that is readily available. I think that the profile is different enough from OEM that you'd have to do all the panels to match, and the door panels need a butt joint on them because the material comes in a fixed length that is a little short.

I've considered making up some SPG weatherstrip kits for sale, but the off-the-shelf molding is $3.50 a foot plus shipping. I don't think I could mark it up enough to make it worth my while.

I'll get up a pic of the molding on the car when I get a chance. Or you can see it at the NYSOC Adirondack Saab Run. I'll be there with the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
I am looking for those pieces of rubber trim too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Elder

Got the rest of my SPG panels and the wheel arches on the car today. I only had one mount strip with clips for the wheel arches so I had to improvise. I had some sheet stainless laying around so I made some custom-bent clips. I actually like them better than the OEM mount. They are easy to get on and align and they hold incredibly well. They also don't hold water along the wheel arch edge like the OEM mounting strip. I put some aluminum duct tape tabs on the fender under them so they don't scratch the paint.

Here's the clips:

Here's the clips on a wheel arch scrap I had laying around:

And here's the pics of the SPG weatherstrip I made.

Here's a comparison in cross-section of the off-the-shelf molding, the molding after I cut it, and the OEM panel molding:

Here's the molding mounted on an SPG panel with 1/4" 3M mounting tape:

Here's a couple pics of the tool I improvised to cut the o-t-s molding to fit:

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 11-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #5
Trollerator
Elder

that's really good stuff. Might need some help with some molding

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 11-23-2008, 05:35 AM   #6
c900 Grognard
Elder

That's a clever tool, nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Elder

At the Adirondack Saab Run yesterday I saw a nice '86 SPG. The car owner took Jon's advice and used the TrimBrite T4002 stick-on door edge molding for panel weatherstrip. It looks REAL nice and is WAAAY less expensive than what I used. I originally thought that the TrimBrite molding was "L" shaped and that's why I looked for another alternative. It is actually "T" shaped, and pretty darn close to the profile I got with my custom-cut molding. I think it's a little more rigid too, which is a good thing--you won't get a wavy edge. Jon told me if you superglue the seam that you have to put in the weatherstrip on the door panels, it's invisible. Wish I saw that before I went through all the trouble. Well at least there's a couple alternatives to OEM now.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363

Last edited by turbocon86; 12-02-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Elder

i might need some of that trim too..... first i must reassess my panels and check.
JP

Old 12-04-2008, 05:08 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
My solution

my SPG panels had horrific stripping on them,, my solution was to use a type of windshield weatherstripping i had kicking around in the basement... the weatherstripping pushes between the panels and the body, and theres no need to even take the SPG panels off to fit it
install instrutions= start, cut to length, push between panel and body, end

hear are some pics of the outcome

i also could not get a clear pic of the side profile of the stripping, but here is a quick drawing to help illustrate

Last edited by mike d; 12-04-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:30 AM   #10
Elder

Bumping this thread for my own interests later..

Trimbrite T4002 seems like a good option, but I would really like to see some pictures of it in use because the sellers pictures are terrible.

Also Turbocon86: Do you want to make another set of those fender arch mounting tabs? (I could probably make my own, but wasn't sure if you had a jig/die for them or something)

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo

Last edited by tuner4life; 02-13-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.