Ninehundredt's 87 SPG: Rebuild Project - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Customizing Your Classic 900

Customizing Your Classic 900 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Ninehundredt's 87 SPG: Rebuild Project

Now that I've finally got a garage to work in I figure now is as good a time as any to start a build thread. I've had the car for around 4 years now, and have finally gotten to the point where I can tear it down and begin fixing some of the trouble spots.

Interior / Exterior:
- Replace the original dashboard.
- Interior upholstery replacement (headliner, door cards...etc)
- Replace the scratched window glass.
- Full repaint to original Edwardian Grey or possibly a nice red.
- Short shifter with leather boot.
- Repaint the vent covers.
- Repaint the louvres.
- Repaint the rims.

Engine / Transmission
- 2.1L cylinder head and intake manifold / throttle body.
- Relocate cold air intake to fender well, or add stock air box back in.
- 3" stainless steel exhaust.
- 9000 Fuel rail.
- Custom differential cover with inlet / outlet.
- Transmission oil cooler.
- Front mount intercooler.
- Water cooled turbocharger.
- Oil filter relocation.
- Trionic 5

Misc
- Fix bad wiring.
- Fix cruise control.
- Battery relocation.

Future
- Turbocharger upgrade
- Axle swap
- 16" super aeros
- Better brakes
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #2

Very cool. My first SPG was an 87. Loved the simplicity of that car. And the color. Looking forward to this build thread!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:43 AM   #3
Elder

I've been waiting for this post!

Old 10-13-2015, 03:25 AM   #4
Elder

Looks great! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
Old 10-18-2015, 05:14 PM   #5

I've started working on fixing the floors. After gutting the interior I found that the floor had been patched previously, but the quality of the job was poor:

I have no idea what the blue stuff is, but below it was a layer of black paint. It basically peeled off by hand revealing riveted sheet metal patches and surface rust:

Trying to decide whether to just clean everything up nice before sealing it properly, or removing the rivets and welding the patches in permanently. Either way I've got a lot of work ahead of me.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
Elder

let's see some updates already!
Old 02-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
let's see some updates already!
Yeah yeah. The car's been hibernating over the winter. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some shielding gas soon and get the floors welded up nicely.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
Elder

maybe you'll want to check this out in the meantime...

The Adventures of Hilary & "Kosmo" The Build Thread - SaabCentral Forums
Old 02-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #9

Finally have a small update. I spent a few hours today removing the main wiring harness, and getting a better handle on some of the issues. Most of the harness is in decent shape, but there have been a few hacks done over the years which I wanted to remove.

I've got disintegrating wire in several places that'll have to be replaced. It's a wonder this thing didn't catch on fire:

Also pulled this wad of mystery circuits out of the passenger panel where the fuel computer resides. Not really sure whether it was part of a security system / fuel cutoff, or something else:

Planning on picking up a C02/Argon tank this coming weekend and should be able to start the sheet metal repairs. More to come.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Elder

very nice, gaining momentum slowly.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #11

Salvage Yard

I needed to get rid of some scrap metal and figured I could grab a few needed bits for the SPG, as they have a few c900's at this particular auto recycler. I came across these headlight assemblies on one of the cars, which I have never seen before:

They're Hella's, and come apart after removing a set of tabs for easy cleaning and bulb replacement. They seem like a way better setup than the normal ones I've had on all my other c900's.

The pair were in such good shape that I snagged them for about $40. Does anyone know if these were an aftermarket replacement back in the day?
Old 02-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #12
SAAB Road Master

Those are original E-code headlights. Post-facelift judging by the shape, so perfect for your '87. I had/have several cars with them in both flatnose and slantnose years which were bought in Canada or Euro-delivery.

You normally don't need to take the glass off (bulb replacement via the rear), but it allows great access. These can have some issues with stuck/broken adjusters, but better than the ones on later US-spec 900s.

Very desirable parts! Great find and great price!
'93 900T Comm.Ed#119
'83 900T 5M 4dr
'87 900S 5M Notch
'88 900S 5M 4dr
'91 & '93 900S 5M 3dr
Parted/scrapped: '82 4dr, '85 3dr,
'86 2dr, '86 3dr, '87 4dr, '90 T3dr.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:16 AM   #13
Elder

nice!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:00 AM   #14

Good start so far! Good on you for joining the fight to save these old cars. Pulling that harness out somehow seems scarier to me than what I did to my car.
05 Legacy GT

Old 02-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #15

Thanks guys. I had no idea these were e-codes. I've never come across them before, as most of my c900's (including my SPG) have always been US models. I guess some good has come out of moving to Canada after all.

I'm being super picky with the electrical work. The original fuse box had a couple areas which had melted slightly for some reason. I picked up a replacement fuse panel at the salvage yard to replace it. I want the car to be as solid as possible.

@9kwrecker: I'll try to get that shipping quote for you by this afternoon.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:55 AM   #16

A bit off topic, but I really like how clean this guy's restoration is. Motivates me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmVzRwaXp4c

Going to weld up my floors tomorrow. Updates coming.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:03 AM   #17
Elder

beautiful paint work on that car,and I like the louvers.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #18

Finally started welding up my floors today. It took some time to get the patches sized up properly, but I spent most of my time scraping the grease covered undercoating off so it wouldn't interfere with the welds.

After I tacked the drivers front patch, it took a long time to bead it properly and get rid of any pin holes. I haven't had much practice welding, and made the mistake of not testing the machine settings on the 20 gauge before starting. Ended up blowing through at first. Anyway it's coming along. I need to grind down the second patch and finish beading it, but I'm almost halfway done. I'm planning on finishing up the drivers side next weekend and the starting on the passenger side.

Also anyone on here ever have issues with auto-darkening helmets? Mine was working fine for a couple of hours, and then starting intermittently not working.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:58 AM   #19
Elder

I'm not sure the thickness of the original sheet metal used on those cars, or any car for that matter but I would probably use patches that were a little thicker than 20ga. that's some really thin metal. close to tin can thickness. 16 ga. would be a lot easier to weld to. just a thought.

I don't have any experience with auto-dimming helmets. sorry
Old 04-03-2016, 05:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
I'm not sure the thickness of the original sheet metal used on those cars, or any car for that matter but I would probably use patches that were a little thicker than 20ga. that's some really thin metal. close to tin can thickness. 16 ga. would be a lot easier to weld to. just a thought.

I don't have any experience with auto-dimming helmets. sorry
The blow through was occurring on the car's sheet metal. It's thin stuff. I'm using a thicker sheet to patch with. I found out that the helmet's batteries are likely dying. It's a common problem. They aren't 'user serviceable' so you have to solder in replacements, or external holders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.