Saab Link Forums banner

Turn indicators/hazards in-op, bulbs ok

8K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Saaboy 
#1 ·
Washed the car this morning. On the way home, left and right turn signals did not work. Upon further investigation, hazards do not work either, yet all fuses are fine. There is no audible click that accompanies the turn signal. The lights on the instrument panel do not come on at all. No 2x speed flashing light, no solid light, nothing. When activating/deactivating my alarm, the turn signals all flash normally -- no bulbs are out.

I presume it's a dead turn signal stalk. (Haven't tried to use the cruise control yet, but I will be leaving shortly to test. Presume I would lose CC too?) If it's just the stalk, why wouldn't the hazards work?

#3 ·
You may be on to something... I figured if the relay was dead they wouldn't flash when I hit the key fob. Also read this in The Saab Site FAQ:

Turn signal issues are fairly common on most vehicles. The problem can come from something as simple as the bulbs being burned out (usually noticed by the turn signal flashing fast) or by the turn signal just not feeling right inside the car. If the turn signal switch does not feel normal then it is likely broken and must be replaced. Another issue that does occur is the failure of the flasher relay or blinker thinker. In most cases the relay failure will cause the turn signal to come on solid without blinking.

#4 ·
relay. Either score one from a junkyard, or open it up and reflow the main connectors, where the plugs hook the little PC board, with a soldering iron. Same general fail mechanism as the infamous headlight relay; the solder just cracks and you lose contact. If you have the ability to look at the contacts and solder under a maginfying glass, or in a microscope, its pretty cool to see the fail.

#9 · (Edited)
Replaced the flasher relay today. Problem solved.

Access to this group of relays in a 9000 w/ airbag but w/o glovebox is as follows:

1. In the passenger footwell, open the fuse door.

2. When the door is open, it will reveal 3 plastic trim fasteners along the top. Remove these and the fuse cover will drop away. The fasteners in my '95 were basically tear-outs and good for a couple uses max. Super annoying, but cheap to replace.

3. Pull out the small HVAC tunnel under the fuses. It fits over another piece of plastic on the left and is clipped in on the right.

3. Remove the two T25 torx holding the front of the fuses in place. (The back of the panel is sitting on 2 metal "hooks".)

4. Pull the relay panel out, do your business, and replace the panel on the rear anchor hooks. The hooks slide into narrow slots on the bottom of the panel and must be properly aligned or it won't sit right.

5. Replace the two T25 torx.

6. Replace the HVAC tunnel.

7. Replace the fuse box door with trim fasteners.

8. Yo' done.

PS - Map of these relays I ganked from Flickr is attached.

Attachments

#10 ·
Replaced the flasher relay today. Problem solved.

Access to this group of relays in a 9000 w/ airbag but w/o glovebox is as follows:

1. In the passenger footwell, open the fuse door.

2. When the door is open, it will reveal 3 plastic trim fasteners along the top. Remove these and the fuse cover will drop away. The fasteners in my '95 were basically tear-outs and good for a couple uses max. Super annoying, but cheap to replace.

3. Pull out the small HVAC tunnel under the fuses. It fits over another piece of plastic on the left and is clipped in on the right.

3. Remove the two T25 torx holding the front of the fuses in place. (The back of the panel is sitting on 2 metal "hooks".)

4. Pull the relay panel out, do your business, and replace the panel on the rear anchor hooks. The hooks slide into narrow slots on the bottom of the panel and must be properly aligned or it won't sit right.

5. Replace the two T25 torx.

6. Replace the HVAC tunnel.

7. Replace the fuse box door with trim fasteners.

8. Yo' done.

PS - Map of these relays I ganked from Flickr is attached.
very nice, thank you.

lol @ ganked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.