Locks stopped working - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only

Car Problems? Saab 9000 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Saab 9000 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Locks stopped working

Well my locks stopped working today. All of them, with having no problems before today. Turning the key in either the drivers door or passengers door only unlocks that particular door. Inside, with the car on, hitting the power lock switch does nothing, but I can hear the relay clicking near the fuse panel. Any ideas? It was a particularly hot day, so perhaps the central locking unit (above the footpedals) decided to blow its fuse?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #2

mines been like that since i bought it, the fuse keeps blowing everytime i change it adn try to use the center console unlock/lock button.

and its mad annoying to ahve to unlock yours, than everybody elses doors, so any info would help me too

Amateurs.

2000 9tree
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #3

you resoldered the fuse on the central locking unit under the dash near the pedals? and it still keeps blowing? ive never had it happen to mine, it was just sitting there all day in the parking lot and when i went back out, no more power locks.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Elder

Most likely you have a bad actuator. Go around to each door and manually cycle the locks. You will probably find one or more to be very sticky, or much tougher to actuate than the others. When you get a hard-moving actuator, it draws more current and blows the fuse. Replacing the bum actuator with another good one will fix the issue.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesAERO View Post
you resoldered the fuse on the central locking unit under the dash near the pedals? and it still keeps blowing? ive never had it happen to mine, it was just sitting there all day in the parking lot and when i went back out, no more power locks.
na my fuse box is on the passenger side where a glove compartment would be, i just put one in where its supposed to go, and then hit the button, and itll blow instantly

Amateurs.

2000 9tree
Old 07-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #6

theres a central locking unit on the other side of the car, above the pedals in the drivers side footwell. Theres a small box, sort of the size of a pack of cigarettes, down there. This has a fuse in it that will blow when its overheated.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/Saab%2090...e%20Repair.jpg

There's the diagram, try that. Sounds like you may have a short though.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesAERO View Post
theres a central locking unit on the other side of the car, above the pedals in the drivers side footwell. Theres a small box, sort of the size of a pack of cigarettes, down there. This has a fuse in it that will blow when its overheated.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/Saab%2090...e%20Repair.jpg

There's the diagram, try that. Sounds like you may have a short though.
ill give that a try, but my dad thpught it was a short because of which fuse kept blowing. and how it only blew when i tried to use it.

Amateurs.

2000 9tree
Old 07-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophusmaximus View Post
ill give that a try, but my dad thpught it was a short because of which fuse kept blowing. and how it only blew when i tried to use it.
Listen to your dad and read my above post. I've had it happen 5 times on 4 different vehicles. Every single time, it was a bad actuator blowing the fuse in the panel, not the fuse in the control module. Every single time, replacing the slowest actuator cured the problem.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI009DZ View Post
Listen to your dad and read my above post. I've had it happen 5 times on 4 different vehicles. Every single time, it was a bad actuator blowing the fuse in the panel, not the fuse in the control module. Every single time, replacing the slowest actuator cured the problem.
how hard is it to replace an actuator?

Amateurs.

2000 9tree
Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Elder

very easy. pop the door panel, remove the two screws that hold the actuator and the 1 wiring plug.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #11

The hardest part is getting the door trim off ! Little screw that leads to a metal bracket around the light in the door as well.

1992 9000 CS Nocturne Blue
Daily driver :318i BMW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #12

fixed! bad door actuator, replaced with one i had lying around from an old c900. hooray!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
Elder

Glad you got it....was one tougher to move than the others, or one that wasn't moving at all?? 9 times out of 10, its an actuator. I've actually yet to see a case where it WASN'T the actuator causing the fuse to blow.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #14

when i first got the car it would have a delay. i didnt notice it being tougher when i tried them. but at one point it just quit, and 3 locks owrked and the one didnt. so i kind of had a suspicion beforehand.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #15

wel it looks like i need 2 actuators, my back 2 barely pull up with out me ripping them out, but on a side note, i dont have a handle(it broke off in the cold) if i get a new handle as well will that make it easier to pull up?

Amateurs.

2000 9tree
Old 08-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Elder

Don't think you've won yet . . .
My 95' 9000 has had that problem on and off since I've owned it - it's not a actuator in my case. Look at what is on that fuse - it's share with central lighting and central locking. If I keep my lights off my locks will stay working and not blow a fuse. I've since noticed that my range of my remote demised and the sound for locking faded away. Since this happened I've lost all sound from my remote lock and unlock siren. I have no power to my siren either when there should be. The module located next to the passenger air bag is the central locking control module specific to model years. Mine is shorting out internally giving me all of your symptoms and more. I've been too lazy to get to fixing it - plus I just want a good known 1995 - 1998 module to swap in. I'll see if I can repair the old one after it's working again. So 9000 owners beware - module failure is amongst us! lol
for your repair needs
Old 09-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #17

sweet i fixed my locks, it was the actuator so i replaced the stuck ones. this fixed my car so much, things that now work are; reverse light, courtsey lights, usingmy key to unlock, or using the remote key thing, now my security systme beeps when it goes off instead of just flashing my light s a bunch. im so happy caus e now my car is not as ghettto as it used to be.

Amateurs.

2000 9tree
Old 09-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Why wasn't it beeping when you locked/unlocked the doors?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
Why wasn't it beeping when you locked/unlocked the doors?
another problem he hasn't fixed yet which has "repaired" itself temp. Mine has similar symptoms - but my rev. lights work and no stuck lock actuators.
for your repair needs
Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

I have a similar problem. Since I got it, my key fob(sp?) thing doesn't work, the key only unlocked the front 2 doors, the lock button on the inside does nothing, and I have to close the drivers side door before I can press down the lock, otherwise it refuses to move.

Two days ago the key only started unlocking only the door it was at, and around the same time all my hazard lights randomly started going off (front indicators, side indicators, rear indicators, and the indicators i have on my mirrors). I have only witnessed this once but someone told me it was doing it at school the other day, and it has probably happened more since then. Also there is no sound when this happens.

If there is a bad actuator my guess is its the drivers side door since it doesn't move unless the door is closed. Where can I get a new actuator? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.