Blueish/Grey Smoke on Acceleration - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Blueish/Grey Smoke on Acceleration

Ok so today I goto work in the morning and everything seems just fine nothing out of the ordinary. I goto lunch and still nothing weird or odd. Then I jump in the car at 5 to go home and take off out of the parking lot. Get to a stop light about 600 feet away and am greeted by a nice cloud of blueish/gray smoke drifting up from the rear of the car. I thought well it must be the beat down Ford Taurus behind me and pass it off as nothing. So I take off and make my left turn and notice as boost builds the smoke starts...let off and drop boost and no smoke.

So I pull over and get out to see if I am smoking at idle or under throttle blips and no smoke so I decide to take off and head home (2 miles away). I take off and give it 3/4 throttle and less smoke (but still some) so I let off and keep the boost at 0 psi and no more smoke. By the time I got home it wasnt smoking anymore that I could tell so I park and go inside.

Fast forward 2 hours and I come out to go somewhere jump in the SAAB and take off (motor is still warmed up some). Give it full throttle and nice burst of blueish smoke and for every throttle push after that the smoke calmed down to only a small puffs at hard acceleration.

So long story but had to explain it all...now I need everyone to confirm what I think and that is that my poor Td04 is dyeing.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Keep an eye on your coolant levels for the next couple of days - if its not your turbo it could be that your mixing coolant and oil, though coolant burning off is usually white smoke, I guess depending on your coolant it could be that - in which case you probably need a new headgasket.

Either way, smoke is no good.

**Though there is an up-side, the way I look at things like this is that there just an excuse to go bigger/better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADouglas View Post
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.

Last edited by CooperS7777; 03-29-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
sucks man. But like cooper just said. Time to go bigger!
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Agreed, could be the Head gasket or the turbo. Keep an eye on the coolant and oil, and be sure to note any oil in the coolant or any coolant in the oil. It will look like a brown nasty mix. Obviously either one is a bad thing... If you notice nothing but loss of oil, I would suspect the turbo.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Thanks for the replys..So far the oil is clean and the coolant is still perfect. An old trick I was taught about oil in the coolant is to stick a screw driver in the tank and stir it up and if it foams then there is oil in it. This has always been true with every old V-8 I had with blown gaskets but not sure with synthetic oils. I will have to keep an eye on those fluids and see what happens.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
yeah, foam in the oil is a sure sign of coolant in the oil. oil has anti foaming agents in it, so if you are getting much foam in the oil it's generally because there is coolant in it.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
Elder

well so far i am in luck...no foam on either side of the house. I am really leaning towards the turbo has gone south.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:23 PM   #8
Elder

yeah your blowing oil out your turbi the seals are gone...almost positive on this one
Old 03-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
Elder

Yeah I found a rebuild kit for the TD04 for $99 but I am waiting to make sure it is fully compatabile with the SAAB version of the TD04. The kit is essentially a new seal set, snap rings and gaskets. I need to get a look at the wheels to see what kind of play I have inthe center section before I commit to buying anything.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #10
User
Elder

Garage
Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
yep... sounds like turbo. does it ever give out a little smoke after the car has been shut off for a while and you go to start it?...

Old 03-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #11
Elder

No it has all been under full boost conditions only. If I dont give it throttle it dont smoke.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:19 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to fretrunner9000 Send a message via MSN to fretrunner9000
this is exactly what just happend to me turbo is all gone... give it a bit and it will look like u have a steem powered saab.

keep in mind youll probly need new oil lines for a TD04 no matter if its a saab compatable or not atleast thats how it is on my 9k

2003 93 Linear Stage 2
Old 03-30-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
just remember that in our cars, when you floor it, the ECU dumps a lot a fuel into the engine, jumping on it really hard will make a little smoke, not a whole lot, but noticable sometimes. I noticed this last year and took my car to my mech. and thats what he told me

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #14
Elder

No this was enough to engulf my car when I pulled up at a light and more than a puff or 2 at some lights.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:48 AM   #15
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
turbo seals more than likley
Old 03-31-2006, 06:52 AM   #16
Elder

Yeah I was looking at it again last night and it looks like I have some oil on the mount plates connecting the center section and exhaust housing. Time to pull it off and rebuild it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.