Saab Link Forums banner

Fuel pump replacement via dropping the tank

12K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  NahumCC 
#1 ·
I know lots of people like to cut a hole but I'm not going that route. Haven't ordered the parts in yet but I'll be changing out the whole pump assembly. Not sure when I'm going to getting a chance to drop it but I'm up for having people over to give a hand.

I have plenty of beer and a good size grill out back to make a good event out of it. I'm in Grove City, OH on the southwest side of Columbus. PM me and details can be worked out later.

Also if anybody has more detailed pics from dropping a tank that would be awesome. My computer that can run WIS shit the bed and the newer windows won't run it :angry:. I plan to take pics as I go through this to build a good how to guide for going this route.

#6 ·
Was going to be ordering new straps and the tool to make my life easier. However go figure that tonight after 3 days of no starting on multiple attempts, pounding away on the bottom of the tank right where the pump resides, and however long it actually took to back my car into the garage while cranking that the pump starts priming as I went to check what the current tank level is and then started on 3 consecutive attempts.

Still won't trust it now till I swap it out but go figure that's when it wants to work.

#9 ·
As if this week can't get scripted any better. My garage door panels just buckled. I got a broken garage for a broken car. Only thing that made me feel slightly better was drilling the rivets out of my replacement window regulators.

#10 ·
Its not too hard to do. I had to do it when I was living in ohio (when the car was still alive lol). I used a screw driver and hammer to gently work the lock ring off, and back on. Make sure to paint mark the ring before removal if you go that route, since getting an accurate torque is pretty much nil. Granted, I do wish the hole in the floor lined up for the pump. I can swap a VW fuel pump in under 10 minutes.

#12 ·
So under the car tonight and trying to figure out how to disconnect the breather line that goes from the tank to the vent and charcoal canister. Can't seem to figure it out. Saabsite.com has a good image of the tank removed, its the bottom to connectors on the lower right side of the image. Their write up for removal was extremely vague and useless.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/faqfiles/Fuel-Pump-Removal.571.5.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.