This one has me stumped, noise on throttle let off - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

This one has me stumped, noise on throttle let off

Hello folks,
It has truly been a while since I have posted here in any capacity. Everything works great, which is exceptional for 181,000 on the clock. Here's the one strange thing:

On throttle let-off, in any gear, and not every time, I get a "hooting" noise. The noise usually does not happen after a hard acceleration, instead it shows up on light throttle lift-off before gear changes. It is obviously related to the dump valve. I replaced the dump valve, as I had the MIL come on and a code specifically for it. I figured that would fix the hooting. I was wrong.

The noise is still there. I have checked all the vac lines, smoked the intake system and checked the operation of the new valve. Everything is good.

Ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Elder

How are your vacuum lines? Especially the one coming off the dump valve
Old 08-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Have you done the T7 bypass mod?
T7 Turbo Bypass Valve Mods – TrollTuner
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #4

Vac lines are good, not original but definitely not new. They hold vacuum fine.

I have not done the bypass mod. The hooting sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. Thanks SRP, I've never heard of that. I'll try it out this coming week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #5

I did the bypass mod today, the noise is 100% worse than before. On every throttle let off, whether after WOT or easing off, the noise happens. When giving it a little gas, and then backing off quickly, the noise also happens...Everything else is tight and the CABV is new.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
factory valve or aftermarket?

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #7

Factory Bosch valve. I thought about getting the Forge valve but couldn't justify it with our current budget and its outlook.

I had a buddy of mine ride with me last night to listen to the noise. He says it's less of a hooting noise and more like a weird sounding horn. The noise starts off "up front" but then sounds like it "takes up the whole car." I think I may swap dump valves with another friend who has an '01 9-5 Aero to see what that does. His car doesn't sound like a fog horn.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

The stock valves wear and get pretty loose. Mine started hooting at ~162k at part throttle, used Forge BOV (BPV in your case) fixed it up nicely.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #9

The dumb part about this is the Bosch valve is new, about one month old. I'm going to smoke the intake again this week as it's been a few months since the last time.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:54 AM   #10
lms

Flip the diverter to see if it changes any. How old is the turbo, and are you running the diverter like a BOV by any chance?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #11

Turbo is original, almost 182k miles. I'll try flipping the valve around, see what happens. The car is basically stock aside from poly engine/trans mounts. No BOV as it's T7.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #12

give me a call if you want, i saw your car the other day while i was at majestic motors btw, ill take a look at it for you, 6033911409.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #13

Thanks man, I'll be going over it again at work this week and see if I missed anything. It's frustrating when you can't fix your own car but you can fix everyone else's.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMyPc View Post
The stock valves wear and get pretty loose. Mine started hooting at ~162k at part throttle, used Forge BOV (BPV in your case) fixed it up nicely.
My stock bosch started to make pretty similar noise anytime it was closed and somtimes when it opened slowly, I thought is kinda sounded like a whale, but anyway, i replaced it with a Forge and fixed it and it seemed to hold boost better as well.

1997 900 se turbo
1995 9000 Aero
2002 93 se
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.