Water Leaking through and Into 9-3 Convertible in a few Places-HELP:)!!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Question Water Leaking through and Into 9-3 Convertible in a few Places-HELP:)!!!

This is a long one, but should be a quick read for everyone that can help. This is with our 01 year 9-3 Convertible. The PRIMARY problem I NEED to fix is 1). But the rest obviously needs to be dealt so fire away at the best solutions you all have!!!

1) Water leak on the passenger's upper right hand side, right at the juncture of the end of the headliner. It drips maybe a few drops is all. This seems to be getting in on the left side (same area) and a little bit on the front as well. This is my primary concern since my wife is the primary driver and she's not exactly happy at the moment about this issue. So even if I cannot get a solution to the others, this one is in dire need to be dealt with!

Will doing the 303 Aerospray trick work OR will I need to replace the top?Any step by step concepts if the 303+other stuff can be applied without having to replace the whole top?

2) Last Summer, we had the top down and noticed water inside the rear part of the top. I am not sure what it is referred to. It is when the back of the roof starts coming up, the part below the rear deck area that starts to open up, and looking down inside is a rubbery compartment. That section is a nice host for water.

What would be the potential culprit/s of water getting into this section?

3) Back behind the front seats, on the carpet, it seems to get a bit damp and even forms some mold if you do not clean it up. It's not wet wet, just a little damp. Put a towel to it, and it will not soak the towel, but just get the towel lightly moist-wet.

Again, ideas on this one?

4) Trunk has had a leak for a while now. Similar to the dampness felt from the above carpet behind passenger seats, but obviously taking up a much larger area and uhhh, a bit denser moisture wise. No mold or anything nasty, just not user friendly for making much use of it if one wants to put their nice suit back there))

This one I'm thinking tailight seals in spite they look fine, trunk seal in spite it looks fine, or that puddle of water the section of the rooftop somehow manages to accumulate. Any thoughts here?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
It sounds like you may have seen the thread on here titles something along the lines of "Common Water Leak Fixes." It addresses the common leaks for a hatchback. While many of those won't apply for you, some of the fixes may help #4 in your list above.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
This is a long one, but should be a quick read for everyone that can help. This is with our 01 year 9-3 Convertible. The PRIMARY problem I NEED to fix is 1). But the rest obviously needs to be dealt so fire away at the best solutions you all have!!!

1) Water leak on the passenger's upper right hand side, right at the juncture of the end of the headliner. It drips maybe a few drops is all. This seems to be getting in on the left side (same area) and a little bit on the front as well. This is my primary concern since my wife is the primary driver and she's not exactly happy at the moment about this issue. So even if I cannot get a solution to the others, this one is in dire need to be dealt with!

Will doing the 303 Aerospray trick work OR will I need to replace the top?Any step by step concepts if the 303+other stuff can be applied without having to replace the whole top?

2) Last Summer, we had the top down and noticed water inside the rear part of the top. I am not sure what it is referred to. It is when the back of the roof starts coming up, the part below the rear deck area that starts to open up, and looking down inside is a rubbery compartment. That section is a nice host for water.

What would be the potential culprit/s of water getting into this section?

3) Back behind the front seats, on the carpet, it seems to get a bit damp and even forms some mold if you do not clean it up. It's not wet wet, just a little damp. Put a towel to it, and it will not soak the towel, but just get the towel lightly moist-wet.

Again, ideas on this one?

4) Trunk has had a leak for a while now. Similar to the dampness felt from the above carpet behind passenger seats, but obviously taking up a much larger area and uhhh, a bit denser moisture wise. No mold or anything nasty, just not user friendly for making much use of it if one wants to put their nice suit back there))

This one I'm thinking tailight seals in spite they look fine, trunk seal in spite it looks fine, or that puddle of water the section of the rooftop somehow manages to accumulate. Any thoughts here?
I remember the days of having a vert... never again. Try using the spray, things can only improve. I can direct you towards a great 4 year old top on my old 9-3 vert. It is sitting in a junkyard if you are interested, I can get you their number. My dad has used some spray stuff on his old CJ, it stops minor things and poris spots in the top, but it wont stop a full blown leak.
1995 900 SE Turbo
Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikmanson View Post
I remember the days of having a vert... never again. Try using the spray, things can only improve. I can direct you towards a great 4 year old top on my old 9-3 vert. It is sitting in a junkyard if you are interested, I can get you their number. My dad has used some spray stuff on his old CJ, it stops minor things and poris spots in the top, but it wont stop a full blown leak.
Darn...no good...so these things just leak, period?

I have an extra top that has everything attached to it, but I want to scrap-sell parts off it like the pump/tonneau/possibly cylinders/motor/etc. since I know mine does work, but has a problem working electrically because of that pin on the right side that gets bent on some and stops it from being able to move
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to Shanes96Turbo
Not sure how similiar the construction of the NG900 top is in comparison to the 9-3 top, being that one is motorized and the later is hydraulic... but on the NG900 there is the top material as well as the headliner layer. On each side there is a "rail" made of a sort of U-shaped channel which folds when the top goes down.

Over time the top gets permeable and allows rain to seep through it. On my NG900 the rain would seep through the top and then travel down on the topside of the headliner and fill up the channels. The water would sit here and when I took a turn, even days after rain; myself and my passenger would get pretty wet. I even noticed the storage area for the top was filling with water, from the water traveling down these channels (had a few inches in there at one point!!)...

I used a bottle of the 303-protectorant a year or so ago and haven't had this problem since, I can now see the top visually beading off the water. I'd definitely try this before replacing your top, it might fix your problems 1, 2 and 3!

I do have a small leak where the window seal on the top meets the driver side window, but thats a different issue all together....
Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Garage
Shane, my roomate lives in west islip, and went to west islip HS.

On topic, they get poris over time. Try spraying it, it should help at least.
1995 900 SE Turbo
Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanes96Turbo View Post
I used a bottle of the 303-protectorant a year or so ago and haven't had this problem since, I can now see the top visually beading off the water. I'd definitely try this before replacing your top, it might fix your problems 1, 2 and 3!

I do have a small leak where the window seal on the top meets the driver side window, but thats a different issue all together....
This sounds great about the 303 helping even with that rear part we both are probably talking about since you are talking the inches of rain built up in that section which is what I have experienced.

Now a couple of my leaks are where the front windshield meets the point where you pull the top off its locks in order to drop it down. If you look in the middle there, a section of rubber from the roof seal? meets/splits. Same with on the sides where the windows meet at that juncture at the top. I don't see how the particular areas would possibly leak through without being able to get through either 1) The top in the case of the front windshield area and 2) Either windows not tightening on the seals of the rooftop or again, roof allowing water into that section somehow.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #8

No 'vert I've ever owned HASN'T leaked somewhere. Throw some rags under your seats for drying up. Good luck trying to track it down and stop it...due to the properties of water it's infinitely more difficult to stop than most liquids...has to do with the surface tension and ionic properties of the water. Literally one molecule penetrating a barrier will pull everything else through.

The best convertible anti-leak solution is a coupe.

"If you pull the pan and find anything other than what I described, I'll eat a pile of hammers." ~spgproject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.