dash lights and gages - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
TSLMember

dash lights and gages

My 1997 900S has intermitent gage and light functioning on the dash. Sometimes they work, sometimes the dash is dark..Does anyone here have some insight into the problem?..It was like this when I bought it..The engine runs fine..the only light that works every time is the "shift up" light. All of the external lights and signals work perfectly.
The PO wired a CD player into it..I am wondering if this may be the crux of the problem..Might a ground be disconnected?
TIA, zym
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I think you have a few different things to look at.

#1. The rheostat that controls dimming.
#2. The SID which handles dimming in regards to ambient light.
#3. The connector to the guage panel.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

I have problem #2. My sid dimmer control turns my lights on the dash off. When you start the car up, you see the lights in the dash start at normal and then dim down to off. Do I have to replace the whole SID for just the dimmer issue or is there a way around it, rewire or repair?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Mine did this, stealling a dimmer from a junkyard fixed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I would try the dimmer first. Either get one at a junk yard or borrow one from another car to try it out.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
TSLMember

Unhappy dash quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
I think you have a few different things to look at.

#1. The rheostat that controls dimming.
#2. The SID which handles dimming in regards to ambient light.
#3. The connector to the guage panel.
Thanks for the start..the rheostat does not dim at all.I move it and it does nothing.
2..Will the SID keep the instruments from showing up as well? When the dash is dark, nothing is displayed..not speedo or tach needle movement..no milage is indicated, no temp or fuel needle movement..sometimes, the fuel milage-outside temp screen blinks and the dash lights up..it may work all the instruments for the entire time the car is running, then dosen't work after restarting the engine..hmm
3...where is the connector to the gague panel..I am thinking that is a great place to start checking things.
TIA, Howard
Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

You may have something else, cable/connector electrical. With the SID dimmer problem, you'll see the dash briefly power up and then step down to off rapidly. Not all lights are off. Odometer light is on full bright. Some lights behind radio and SID display work.

All instruments should work fine. If you hit the black button on the SID then my instruments turn off. Hit again and my instruments turn back on, not the backlight, but the instrument itself.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
TSLMember

Eagle eye..I think you are on to something there..Once in a while, when I turn the SID from black to on, the dashblinks and works..So I have to go under the dash and find the conector..or is it a case of taking the dash off and checking the condition of the connectors?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

It looks to me like the SID has a major role in the control of the lights in the display. In my situation, I would need to check the wires and connectors in the SID, which I haven't done yet. That's my first point. if I can the the light sensor in the SID to respond normal, then I should be OK. Or maybe it a cable or connector in the SID. That's my first point. For you, this is a good starting point as well because I think the SID is the easiest thing to work on, connector and unit. Then, if all looks good, then you'd move onto the connector behind the display, unless you find this easy to remove.

I'm considering swapping a SID for a quick check. With prices, the cost of a second SID is maybe cheaper than the time to diagnose it. So, for my situation, I'm focused on the SID. I think it connectors or cables in the SID first. I'll let you know in about 2 to 3 weeks when I have a chance to work on it. Considering the problems with the sid display failing characters, I think this is the weak link. I haven't fixed the connector yet, that I know probably needs connector cleaning to restore. "SID display fix"

I think My manual dimmer control works fine and is not the issue. pulling electrical connectors, using electrical lube is always a quick fix/check.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
TSLMember

sid

eagleeye..good call on the connectors..As mu SID is losing many bytes of info..and is working sporatacially at best, I will clean the connectors, put it back in, then go on and swap it with a known good one..Thanks.
zym
Old 01-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
srp
Elder

Wow... Oddly enough this just happened to me the other night. A light smack on the dash above the SID brought everything back up. I have a spare SID sitting around to try if it happens again.

I also recall reading something in the past about some harness that goes behind the SID and radio getting severed and shorting out. So perhaps that is also something to be checked out.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
srp
Elder

Swapped SID's... problem came back. Yanked out dimmer and fiddling with it made the gauges go in and out. Pulled the plug off and cleaned up the contacts a little bit and reseated it a few times. Seems ok now but I will be picking up a spare.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

fixed dimmer rear dash light display

Ok, I got my (new) used SID for my '95 900s. I swapped it out and now my dash display works great!!! Dimmer works. that was the quickest fix ever. Just a quick swap and I'm good to go.

So, as with the pixels the bad cable connection inside the SID affects the dimmer and the dash lights. So, when I get around to it, i'll take the old SID apart and try to fix the cold solder joints connecting the cable to the board with an iron. I noticed the cable connector attaches the sensor to the main unit and that connection is probably what failed.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to skeek1 Send a message via Skype™ to skeek1
light at the end of a dark tunnel... I have written in many forums about this and just found this. I have had this center console blackout issue for almost a year now. I own a 2003 9-3ss (newer body). my gages behind the steering wheel work fine. my radio screen and SID screen come on fine. Its my buttons and knobs to control everything. The radio/ACC/power windows/radio controls on steering wheel=they turn on during the day and go off at night. If i start my car with a flash light shining on the dome above my SID it all lights up fine. once i shut off the light, it all goes dark. Had a tech2 reading, all tested fine lights turned on but once tech2 was unplugged, it goes back to dark at night. The mechanic didnt know what to do. Interesting enough I fiddled with my alarm settings. If i change it to "door alarm only" all my missing lights light up for about 60 seconds and then fade to dark again. so...SID issue? Tech2 programming issue? Rheostat issue? Time to get a new car because im always stuck with quarky probs in my saab issue?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Well, I'm no expert on the 2003 but it sounds like a cold solder joint/bad connection on your dimming circuit. It could be a bad cable connection or a cold solder joint somewhere. There is one other possibility. It could be a bad resistor/broken connection in the dimming circuit. It sounds like your shining the light causes a voltage response that turns the lights on. So it's kinda backwards. that usually means that your dimming circuit is not getting a supply voltage. So maybe you need a new SID for a quick fix. It may be cheaper with a used unit.

Is your alarm system original or aftermarket. If it's aftermarket, you have a problem with the alarm wiring that is tied into a sensitive wire that feeds into the dimming circuit. Aftermarket alarms will always tie into circuits that are now sensitive and can be damaged if not connected properly.

The Tech II is feeding a voltage back into your circuit causing it to work momentarily. This also relates to bad connection, cable or burned circuit somewhere around the SID.

On followup to my SID. My backlights burned out. They're very sensitive even on the bumping of removing and installing the SID. I swapped working bulbs around the two units to get it working again. What really bothers me is the ridiculous prices people want just for the bulbs. I'm ordering a bunch of bulbs I found on an electronics surplus supplier web site for way less than anyone else. I'll be ordering a bunch of different styles until i find the right one. Also, theres two sets of bulbs in each SID.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #16
Flirting With TSL Addiction

i had this problem for a year - a new dimmer rheostat fixed everything. found two bad transistors in my old one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.