Car won't start. Key fob related. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Car won't start. Key fob related.

I know there are similar threads but i see that everyones situation is a bit different. Here's my situation and I hope you guys can throw me some info!

I have been driving my car with the "key not accepted" on the SID. I did this by bypassing the system by turning to the ON position, pressing a button on the fob, then turning the car on. I recently lost my set of keys(key and fob). Now I have a spare key and fob that came with the car. That fob never worked. I always thought the battery was dead. I replaced the keyfob battery. I heard you have to resync the fob to the car. So I tried pressing the unlock button multiple times with the key in and out of the ignition. I still didn't have any luck with cranking the engine. All lights, AC, etc turn on. He can i get this spare key/fob to work without spending hundreds or thousands at the dealer? I can't get the keys programmer to my car since my car is in my driveway. I don't want to spend $100 just to tow it to the dealer. I don't mind driving the car with the "key not accepted" message again. Any input would help. Thanks guys.

Last edited by 9k aero; 12-28-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Elder

Unless you have the set of keys that work with the car already.

You're screwed. Sorry bud.

You need a TWICE unit with a fob and key thats programmed to that unit.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #3

What state are you in?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #4

Illinois. This is not sounding good from the feedback im getting and my doors are unlocked so I can play with the ignition or battery or whatever i have to do to fix it.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9k aero View Post
Illinois. This is not sounding good from the feedback im getting and my doors are unlocked so I can play with the ignition or battery or whatever i have to do to fix it.
Yahh your F$$ked, You need a Twice and some one to program it.

The only cheap way out is to find a friend in Australia, Australian market 93s-95s with out Theft security "The Twice" have a patch cable that goes in place of twice. This hasn't been available through Saab cars USA, I've tried it. Sorry Australia only. But its a simple connector to make the car run. I have seen Twice by passed by a Russian friend of mine but I've never tried it personaly. It can be done but the patch connector from an Ausi car would get you going again on the cheap.
Aussi parts link
SAABWRECK - For all Saab Parts
Old 12-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #6

I feel like this will work. Should I get it? Is that all i need?
1999 SAAB 9-3 ECU, TWICE,& DICE MODULE W/ KEYFOB - eBay (item 120662930971 end time Dec-31-10 08:47:16 PST)
Old 12-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
Ero

I think that could work.

Also, I've read that bypassing the lockout is super simple, I think its a ground cable that needs to be connected somewhere if i recall correctly.

Sorry thats all the information I have...I think this was in a thread about either push button start or remote start for saabs on this site.....my memory fails me...
Old 12-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #8

That will Do you. As long as its legit, Like they all came from the same car, Good find.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #9

Can I install this myself or do I still need s texh2 and programming from the dealer?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
Elder

Sometimes they work on their own, sometimes they need the immobilizer code programmed to the ECU with a Tech2. It kind of depends on what fault codes set in the old one, but clicking the remote at it might let you at least start it - you'll have to see.

Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #11

Found my keys! Woohoooo! Should I now get my spare programmer at the dealer in case this happens again?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
Ero

correct me if im wrong cant the dealer order you a key with your registration?

Thats what mine always said whenever I asked about a spare key/remote, bring the registration and your drivers license, we have to order it from the factory. Or is it still programmed on-site?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

key alarm

so long as the alarm is off you should be able to program the remote, but at the dealership. they've got the proprietary computer to do it. Or the knowhow, which i'd like to know.

I purchased a new keyfob from the dealer because I only had one and wanted to make sure I had a spare. They were able to program the computer. I don't know how. They connected the computer and had no problem programming the remote. I have a problem with my OBDII connector and the scanner I can't get working, but the dealer was able to program my new remote to the computer.

I thought the problem is when your car is locked and you try to unlock it without the remotes, then the system will lock itself out and then you need an entire new remotes, keys, and alarm box. But, if it's unlocked, you might need at least one key fob and you can reprogram new keyfobs and keys at the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.