Saab Link Forums banner

sticky accelerator pedal

10K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  NickTurbo900 
#1 ·
just as the title says my gas pedal doesnt seem very smooth going in tomorrow with my trusty haynes manual im going to try and adjust the throttle cable and see if thats the culprit but if it isnt, does anyone have any ideas?

#3 ·
Rumor has it was a TSB...lemme check it out.

I couldn't find it on Townsend Imports, but I was told that my 95 should have had something corrected to loosen the peddle feel. I will call tomorow and find out.

#4 ·
Mine did it once. I had to take it out of gear so I wouldn't rearend the guy in front og me. Then I had to kill the motor and coast to the side of the road. A couple good sweeps of the pedal has cured it ever since.

#6 ·
Any one have any ideas? I know this is a WICKED OLD thread, but my brothers NG is having the exact same problem. I know theres a TSB out for the "Throttle Control Lever Bushing Replacement." But thats all I got.

We tried spraying it with WD-40, looked at the EPC/WIS to see if there was anything wrong with the spring set up. Short of replacing the cable, whats there to do?

#7 ·
Mine has been crazy stiff.
After a few insane driving manuvers, it got very loose / normal (a major change for the past 3+ years...).

10 minutes later the throttle got stuck full on on a twisty road. Managed to get into third before popping it out of drive and shutting/coasting...

Automatic for the loss on that; it just kept going through gears until I realized. Pounded it around when on the side of the road, messed with the cruise connection, and it stuck again.

Freed it up, and it's been fine for 3 weeks or so, with a soft pedal...

Just beat the snot out of it? Seriously, I know it's not that useful, but mine has seemed to unsnag itself, and cause a hell of a scare =)

-bny

(stage 4 auto + stuck WOT + twisty road + girlfriend in car == really not cool)

#10 ·
Mine got stuck like 5 times in one day of driving. Anything beyond 1/2 throttle and the loud pedal would get stuck in that position. Was kinda scary and exhilarating at the same time. ;-)

Turned out the mat was all fucked up down there and getting wedged between the pedal and the inner kick panel. I haven't thrown something that far in a long time.... (And now GS doesn't sell the SpeedParts mats anymore... :-( )

#11 ·
Mine is also very stiff. I had adjusted my throttle cable out so that at WOT the butterfly valve was open 100%. Thats when it started to get real stiff. I'm wondering if its just a sign of wear, and the cable is stretched so far its getting snagged.

#12 ·
I was driving my friends stage 3 ng900 and the pedal stuck at WOT, I freaked out and slammed on the brakes and turned the ignition off. If your car is a 900 then its the throttle plate that rusts / corrodes and the dealer should fix it for free.

#15 ·
What do you mean by throttle bushing? My brother and I now know its not the pedal or the cable, but something in the TB itself that is providing friction.

With the TB opened to WOT from the lever arm, the pedal is light and easy to push.

#17 ·
Yupp, when my brother and I had it all apart before we sprayed the hell outta the springs. That did help. Though cleaning the TB would probably help alot as well.

#18 ·
Found this for the 1994-1996 900..

Throttle Control Lever Bushing Replacement

Auto Recall Date: 03/21/1997
Vehicle Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 52500
1995 SAAB 900 Defect Summary:
CORROSION AROUND THE ZINC-COATED THROTTLE CONTROL LEVER BUSHING CAN CAUSE THE THROTTLE LEVER TO BIND.
Defect Consequence:
THIS BINDING CAN RESULT IN THE THROTTLE PLATE NOT RETURNING TO THE CLOSED POSITION WHEN THE THROTTLE PEDAL IS RELEASED AND A SUBSEQUENT LOSS OF THROTTLE CONTROL.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ZINC-COATED THROTTLE CONTROL LEVER BUSHING WITH A NICKEL-COATED BUSHING AND BOLT.

#19 ·
I zipped tied the heck out of the grommet that the cruise cable runs through, hard shifts or even bumps would knock it loose and I would "lose throttle control", I looked at my other NG and the plastic clips that secure the plastic barrel to the metal bracket had been broken on my black one. Scary thing accelerating without any control, but at least we all got a taste what its like driving an Audi for a bit ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.