Saab Link Forums banner

Shifter problem...need help asap

8K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Moosepuck 
#1 ·
on my way out the other night, i started having problems getting into gear. it got a lot worse when i went to go from a light and wasnt moving. turns out i was in third. it would not go into first. so i turned around and headed home with no first gear. it it very difficult to shift into any other gear and reverse is not an option. i had to leave it out in my driveway with the key in it. the whole shifter seems very loose if that helps at all. i did the shifter alignment shown on www.platonoff.com. i can now get into first and it is a little less loose, but when i put it in reverse and start to release the clutch, i just a grind. (so in other words, no reverse still.) anyone have ideas?

#2 ·
To me it sounds like your clutch is going bad. When mine started going bad on my 9-3 I had the same issues with reverse and third gear. I was able to baby it in for awhile, but eventually the clutch had to be replaced. It is unlikely that the linkage is responsible.

#4 ·
Sorry,What Year car is it and what is it?

If you have a newer style shift linkage, or old for that matter, the bushings could have crapped out. Remove your shift linkage and inspect it. It would be good to pull out the shifter housing and look at the plastic bushings under the shift lever.

If it is hydrolic clutch, you may have a master cylinder failing.

#5 ·
clutch feels okay to me. i have the manual cable and that was my first thought. so i tightended that up but made no difference. it seems like the stick on the shifter needs to come down more if you will when shifting into reverse for it to engage. im not sure if you follow what im trying to say.

#14 ·
How is the clutch cable and have tried adjusting it.
Seems like it.

I really think the issue is;
Not properly aligned after all.
Shift linkage shot
Josh's idea about the retainer.

#10 ·
Have you inspected under the shift boot?

You say the shifter feels loose, so it is possible that the plastic retainer for the shifter is screwed up.

It's possible the retainer has either broken or come loose causing the shifter to move around in the socket rather then shift the transmission.

Just another thing to look into.

#22 · (Edited)
Don't close this thread just yet.. I'm having shifter alignment issues. I am quite sure that the linkage itself if in good working condition. I do have all gears, it just stalls right out when I let the clutch out in first. Can't slip it, can't nothing.

Reverse works and the car is able to be backed up, but 1st isn't fully there obviously. I think my problem is to do with the male end not fully engaged into the female end. 1st is way to far forward and so is reverse. (makes sense bc linkage isn't fully in...

Attached is how it is supposed to be, with a poor paint explanation of how mine looks...Is there any trick/particular way to get this fully in??? It only goes about 1/2 to 3/4 in?

I got the car running and this is the last step to driveablility... HELP

EDIT: Also, I cannot take the key out of the ignition...any suggestions?
for reference: white is male end coming out of firewall and blue is female end (linkage). The white circle represents the same area...

Attachments

#24 ·
Glad she's back to normal...... just for future searchers sake and reference, I had a rear "sport mount" on mine for about 500 miles and it's bushing compressed about a half inch, started getting very difficult to get into reverse, swapped back to a more rigid race mount and all was well again.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.