Front crank seal... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
Elder

Front crank seal...

So who's had the pleasure of putting a new front crank seal in one of these cars? Any particular tips? How long should it take?

Car in particular is a '99 9-3 auto...

TIA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 04:18 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to SaabDriver87
I do them on almost a daily basis here at work. Take tension off the belt, pull the right front wheel and belt shield. Pull the crank pulley bolt, remove the crank pulley and there is your seal. If you are going to be in there you might as wheel get a good sized pair of snap ring pliers and pull the oil pump cover and replace the o-ring on that too.

With that cover out of the car, take a hammer and screw driver and punch the old seal out from the back side of the cover. Then take a pick or something similar to pull the oil pump o-ring off. Once those are out, fit the new oil pump o-ring, and you can either get the correct seal installer tool and put the new crank seal in with the cover back in the car or you just get some grease, a hammer and a wood block and gently tap the seal into place, then re-install the oil-pump cover in the car.

I usually can do this in about 15-30 minutes (keep in mind, lift/air tools/etc.) I would set aside probably an hour, maybe a little more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-03-2009, 04:11 AM   #3
Elder

Yeah, not bad at all. Took me closer to two hours because I had never used the puller and needed to modify it to fit.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Harvey's Autohaus has some tips on it too.

p.s. I also have a strange looking black circular tool. Does the c900 tool work for the newer 900s? My mom's 98 has this problem and I figure if it is easy enough I will fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations

Last edited by Tweek's Turbos; 10-05-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.