Convertible Dripping Oil when attempting to take off - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Question Convertible Dripping Oil when attempting to take off

Is it time to manually take this sucker off or do I still have some way of figuring out the issue and solve it without taking the top off?

Top is stuck, not wanting to come forward and off with electronics. Says in SID that something is wrong with soft-top (make clearance for it, etc.)...nothing wrong with the motor, but seeing the oil dripping on the right side of it (on the ground) isn't exactly inspiring.

Anyone have some tips on proceeding with this one?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to nomadtw
this must be a 9-3

your hydraulic system is leaking... put more fluid in it. also find the leaking line and replace it
Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

How bad is the leak? if not too bad there is a cheap way to fix it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtw View Post
this must be a 9-3

your hydraulic system is leaking... put more fluid in it. also find the leaking line and replace it
It is in a 9-3 Convertible, year 2001. Is the line located under the car or do I have to take the top off to deal with it? BTW, where is the place to put the fluid into it?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkayssi View Post
How bad is the leak? if not too bad there is a cheap way to fix it.
Well, when I first got out of the car after multiple attempts at opening the convertible top, there was a little round spot on the ground. When I check under the right side (actually rear left wheel) where it is dripping, I noticed it is similar to say, a small oil leak, meaning, you see the drips coming from the point that it is falling out, but only after it has fallen out a bit.

I wouldn't say the dripping is much at all. It's only when attempting to get the top off that it drips out a bit and forms a small sized area the size of say, a baseball. What I will do is have my wife try to get the top off using the electric lever in the center section, then I will see what the leaking looks like (i.e. how much/how fast/etc.)

Thanks a lot for the help around here. It's still nice out and well, one of the nicest things besides going fast in this car is getting the roof down. It's the next closest thing to being on a bike
Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #6

Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
It is in a 9-3 Convertible, year 2001. Is the line located under the car or do I have to take the top off to deal with it? BTW, where is the place to put the fluid into it?
The pump and reservoir are accessed by folding the rear seat forward. In the middle of the area you just accessed there is a rectangular galvanized plate. The pump and reservoir are under that and pull up to get to the fill cover. While it's tipped up there are high and low marks for the fill level. The Saab hydraulic oil is like $40 a pint. Some have used mineral oil, a domestic pet laxative, and claim that it works fine. Just watch out if you cat or dog licks it up. If your pistons are leaking they are over $400 each so hope it's a line. You want to fill the system before it gets air in it. Bleeding the air out is a PITA. I've been lucky so far, my pistons weep a little so it's just a nuisance at this point. Be very careful to keep the seatbelts from getting behind the seats when you are done. If the seat locks in with a belt behind it, you're not gonna like yourself for a while. Trust me on this one. Good Luck.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
Well, when I first got out of the car after multiple attempts at opening the convertible top, there was a little round spot on the ground. When I check under the right side (actually rear left wheel) where it is dripping, I noticed it is similar to say, a small oil leak, meaning, you see the drips coming from the point that it is falling out, but only after it has fallen out a bit.

I wouldn't say the dripping is much at all. It's only when attempting to get the top off that it drips out a bit and forms a small sized area the size of say, a baseball. What I will do is have my wife try to get the top off using the electric lever in the center section, then I will see what the leaking looks like (i.e. how much/how fast/etc.)

Thanks a lot for the help around here. It's still nice out and well, one of the nicest things besides going fast in this car is getting the roof down. It's the next closest thing to being on a bike
Good so try this then

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=153792

To fillup the reservoir
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=100703

You might feel adventurous and use a different fluid to fillup the tank
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...07#post1364307
Old 08-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg450 View Post
The pump and reservoir are accessed by folding the rear seat forward. In the middle of the area you just accessed there is a rectangular galvanized plate. The pump and reservoir are under that and pull up to get to the fill cover. While it's tipped up there are high and low marks for the fill level. The Saab hydraulic oil is like $40 a pint. Some have used mineral oil, a domestic pet laxative, and claim that it works fine. Just watch out if you cat or dog licks it up. If your pistons are leaking they are over $400 each so hope it's a line. You want to fill the system before it gets air in it. Bleeding the air out is a PITA. I've been lucky so far, my pistons weep a little so it's just a nuisance at this point. Be very careful to keep the seatbelts from getting behind the seats when you are done. If the seat locks in with a belt behind it, you're not gonna like yourself for a while. Trust me on this one. Good Luck.
I had the seats back and saw the pump/reservoir and believe it or not, I actually "almost" put the seat back with the belts, but I was careful, had one of the seatbelts not in all the way and one out, so it let me still take the seat down. I'll definitely have the seatbelts out before putting the seat back again!

I "really" hope it is not a piston issue as I can likely find one cheap used, but I dunno if I'd like the install part of it.

Hopefully cleaning it out and putting in some fresh fluid or just for starters, filling it up and checking to see what happens from this will do the trick.

Regards!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkayssi View Post
Good so try this then

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=153792

To fillup the reservoir
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=100703

You might feel adventurous and use a different fluid to fillup the tank
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...07#post1364307
Fantastic. I'm going to try some of Walmart's hydraulic fluid that also has stop leak in it. Well, my wife is on her way there since no other place is open that would have the stuff and I will be talking to her just to confirm what the base rating of it is and what brand, various etcs. to be sure it is safe for use.

Is there a way, like that one person that you thread-linked to, explained about manually helping the convert top move while holding down the electric button from inside the cabin? I ask this just in case the top still doesn't want to come off after dropping in the fresh fluid.

BTW, it's great to know that it needs to be check on as I'm sure the previous owners failed to do this and I know we have used the button numerous times and have had the roof down a lot, so it's logical that the thing would be running on very little hydraulic oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.