Crush sleeve failure and loss of second gear - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Crush sleeve failure and loss of second gear

Pulled apart transmission in my Viggen that has been missing second gear totally.
The crush sleeve on the output shaft had failed and allowed the gears to slide up the output shaft enough to let the stationary part of the 2nd gear syncro jump out of its groves.
I hear there is a new crush sleeve system. Anyone know what it looks like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad syncro.jpg (60.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg good syncro.jpg (52.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg crush sleeve.jpg (49.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by MTAERO; 06-25-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

The crush sleeve on the left (in your picture as well as mine) is the new crush sleeve design. The one on the right is the old design.

Dave

Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Dave
Do you have a measurement of the new sleeve and collar before installation? I don't know if the one I have is old or new. I got it with a bunch of parts from the Chevy dealer.
Mine is 45.5mm tall.
I also have a new crush sleeve of the old style, the heigth of the sleeve and collar is also 45.5mm.
The new sleeve system looks much more less prone to failure.

Last edited by MTAERO; 06-25-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

I don't have the preliminary measurement but the new one that you have is definately the new style. you can see the difference between the two in my pictures. chevy cobalt and saab cross reference and share the same part ( saab #55352125) so you are good. i have tried to backdoor the measurement from an old sleeve and replace it with a solid sleeve..no luck there either.

Good Luck,
Dave
Old 06-25-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
That's how my transmission went down last year. I upgraded to the Cobalt/SS crush sleeve as well. I drove it awhile without 2nd gear.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
You guys realize that the Cobalt SS gearbox is from Powertrain Sweden and actually the same parts used in the 9-3 from 2003 onwards. Including the F25 in the leftover 03 vert.

You do need to be careful on crushing that new sleeve and it is a good idea to pre-crus it in the press to close distance to protect the gears when you are really tweaking on it to get the preload down. .

I have been telling people this for a long time. http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/gearbox.htm
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

The new sleeve feels a lot more robust and I was a little concerned about doing the proceedure for preload in the same fashion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.