Window off track. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to someguy
Window off track.

Ok, so I was in DC this weekend and went to put the passenger side window down and it fell off its track. I was able to force it into the up position and lock it in place by putting the window motor all the way up.

Anyways I haven't had a chance to take the door apart yet as I just got home from my trip last night, but is this going to be a major thing to fix? Is this fairly common?

What's the likelihood that something is actually broken to where I need new parts?

Thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
most likely its the 7 dollar plastic piece wheel that goes in the track to raise/lower the window. Pain to fix but cheap and easy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg md_d2ee92cc-4af8-41d0-ae80-b3eb0cefc099.jpg (2.7 KB, 42 views)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/668055/1999-saab-9-3/

Last edited by soccerrplyr; 04-13-2009 at 05:02 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
More than likely what has broken are one of the little green window rollers in the track.

Pulling the door card off is easy. Have it open and then do the following.

1. Pull off outer half of door pull and unbolt the two torx screws hiding there.
2. Remove the trim cap hiding behind the door release lever and unbolt the torx and then pull out that release lever.
3. On the back of the door jam that seals with the car body you'll see a plastic pop rivet. Take the tip of your torx and push in the center. Once pushed in just pull it out by getting your finger nails on the outer edge.
4. At the bottom of the door card will be two torx going into the door threw clips attached to the door card; remove them.
5. Remove the plastic trim that sits on top of the door card where you would have your side mirror adjust buttons if we were a RHD market. Just pull it off. It takes a bit as they snap in there real tight but don't worry about it.
6. Pull the door card off. Be careful as you pull it off as you will have to slide the card up and over the door lock indicating stub other wise if you just yank you'll damage the metal rod its attached to. It's [door card] on there good and tight with some plastic parts that go into the door body. Just work you way off slowly.
7. Pull back the foam water/sound sealing and have a look around at your window track and find the broken roller. Remove any part left of it (likely just the metal clip and the center of the roller).
8. If enough grease is in the track still slide in the new roller (without the metal clip) and get it in the grease otherwise you'll need to lube it up first.
9. Raise the window up or down to get it in a position to where you can snap the window rod back into the roller and your done. Just put it all back together.

Edit: Soccer beat me to it while I was writing a how to. But those are the little buggers your looking for.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:15 AM   #4

Soccer, thanks for putting me at ease with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
More than likely what has broken are one of the little green window rollers in the track.

Pulling the door card off is easy. Have it open and then do the following.

1. Pull off outer half of door pull and unbolt the two torx screws hiding there.
2. Remove the trim cap hiding behind the door release lever and unbolt the torx and then pull out that release lever.
3. On the back of the door jam that seals with the car body you'll see a plastic pop rivet. Take the tip of your torx and push in the center. Once pushed in just pull it out by getting your finger nails on the outer edge.
4. At the bottom of the door card will be two torx going into the door threw clips attached to the door card; remove them.
5. Remove the plastic trim that sits on top of the door card where you would have your side mirror adjust buttons if we were a RHD market. Just pull it off. It takes a bit as they snap in there real tight but don't worry about it.
6. Pull the door card off. Be careful as you pull it off as you will have to slide the card up and over the door lock indicating stub other wise if you just yank you'll damage the metal rod its attached to. It's [door card] on there good and tight with some plastic parts that go into the door body. Just work you way off slowly.
7. Pull back the foam water/sound sealing and have a look around at your window track and find the broken roller. Remove any part left of it (likely just the metal clip and the center of the roller).
8. If enough grease is in the track still slide in the new roller (without the metal clip) and get it in the grease otherwise you'll need to lube it up first.
9. Raise the window up or down to get it in a position to where you can snap the window rod back into the roller and your done. Just put it all back together.

Edit: Soccer beat me to it while I was writing a how to. But those are the little buggers your looking for.
You, Sir, are great. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
No problem. Its an easy job. Have a beer or two while you do it.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #6

Update:

I attempted this two weeks ago after only ordering one window roller. Took it apart to find I needed two.

Last Saturday I took it apart again, got one to seat property then managed to break the green part of the other one while putting the clips on (oops).

Just ordered another and a spare today! Found out Amazon has these, so being a Prime member I get free shipping. I'm really just starting to accept that I will never have a working passenger window again.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
Does anyone have a link to where I can order these puppies on Amazon? Black900 just called to tell me my window "fell off" and now I probably need to replace them.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #8

http://www.amazon.com/Scan-Tech-Prod.../dp/B001G5Y054

I may have two of these that you can have. I'll have to check though.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
SAABeginner

follow up question

does this work for a 04 9-3 saab?? or is there something else to do?? my saab window is stuck in the up position. the dealership wants $700 and they say that i need to replace the entire motor so i went online and found this discussion and im hoping that i dont need to spend that much and that there is an easy fix for it. please help or direct me to somewhere that can!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.