Direct Ignition Cassette, how do I know it's faulty? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Direct Ignition Cassette, how do I know it's faulty?

So recently my check engine light came on. When I ran a OBD-II diagnostic it came up with three codes. Two were P0300 and the last was a P0340. The 340 was for the camshaft position sensor. I checked out some other forums and FAQs and it turns out that the 340 code could indicate a problem with the DI cassette, which is apparently a common problem. So how do I know that is the problem? Any help is appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Find a known good one and swap it out. That's pretty much the easiest if not the only way.

'04 9-3 Aero
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlymurt View Post
Find a known good one and swap it out. That's pretty much the easiest if not the only way.
x2

Old 07-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
Elder

also with an OBDII reader or better yet, TechII, you might see some misfire codes.

I also have heard of people grounding it, and turning it upsside down and cranking so they can observe if all 4 coils spark correctly. that one sounds a little dangerous to me

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
2004 9-5 aero wagon
Old 07-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
Elder

Ditto on the TechII, and unfortunately, double ditto on the known good one.

The visual check only tells you if there's spark being emitted but it can't tell you if the misfire is happening at higher RPM, which is one of the ways the DIC will first start to fail.

If you don't beat on the car, you can live with a failing DIC for a few weeks or months. If you engage in some spirited driving, then you better carry a spare and have a T25 (IIRC) Torx screwdriver handy. Mine failed at 1:30 a.m. on a major highway....
Old 07-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Elder

sadly, this is a Saab owner thing.. you know you are a Saab driver when...

both your Saabs have a spare DI in the trunk yes, we do in each Saab

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
2004 9-5 aero wagon
Old 07-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Thanks for the replies. I had heard of grounding it and checking the sparks. Does anyone know good places to find a Trionic 5 DI cassette, most likely used?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
SAAB Road Master

DI cassette

Any DI (T7) that has D - code on the label is faulty from the factory and SAAB (dealer) will replace free of charge regardless of mileage and model year. Any with E-code are replaced under warranty terms (i.e., not necessarily for free)
Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
SAABeginner

It's an old thread, but I was wondering if this replacement of "D" labeled DICs is actually true? I have one failing DIC on my SAAB. It's revision D. Would the dealer replace it for free, although my car is out of warranty?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymaval View Post
It's an old thread, but I was wondering if this replacement of "D" labeled DICs is actually true? I have one failing DIC on my SAAB. It's revision D. Would the dealer replace it for free, although my car is out of warranty?

Look at the revision number. 3.7 and higher are OK. Before that were the bad ones.

Technically speaking, GM would still be liable to do recalls and warranty work on a car sold while they owned Saab. Whether the remaining dealers are still doing that, I can't tell you. Since it was a safety recall they'd be obligated to replace it even out of warranty as long as that car has never had one done.

Report Receipt Date: SEP 14, 2005
NHTSA Campaign Number: 05V399000
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.