Fault code P1230 and P1231 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Fault code P1230 and P1231

On my way to SCD today the Check Engine and Traction Controll Off lights decided to come on in my Viggen. The car runs fine but with an obvious lack of boost, and I've noticed the engine is idling rather high, between 1500 and 2000 RPMs.

Thanks to some great people at SCD we checked and cleared the codes with a Tech II; the codes came up as P1230 and P1231. Anyway, when I left to drive home the car seemed to be running okay, though power delivery wasn't so smooth and the throttle almost felt like the cable was sticking. The CEL came back rather quickly and I'm back to no boost and a high idle (the sticky throttle sensation is gone though).

A quick search links the P1230 code to a throttle positon sensor error, which seems like the only way to fix is to replace the throttle body. I can't come up with anything specifically on P1231, although atleast one of the posts I read mentioned both codes as well.

So before I rush out and buy a new throttle body, what do you guys think? Is there anything else I could or should try? I'd love to avoid dropping the car off at the dealer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Yup pretty much only choice is to replace the throttle however it is possible the software may need an update because of 1230 as that is what WIS notes. Take it into a dealer or an indy and let them take a look at it to figure it out.

1231 relates to potentiometer sensor 1 reading incorrectly and causes idle and surging problems. It happens because the throttle plate begins making brief closing motions.

1230 is also being caused by 1231 because the sum that the ECU expects from sensor pot 1 and sensor pot 2 do not match.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se Send a message via Skype™ to drewz airflow se
shit that happened to my dads 9-3 they wanted like 1500 to fix it.

^CLICK ME^
Old 10-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Christ on a pony, $1500?!

Searching around I saw it mentioned that a throttle body was going for something like $280, I wonder what the rest of the blood money was for.

What did your dad end up doing to fix it?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Yup pretty much only choice is to replace the throttle however it is possible the software may need an update because of 1230 as that is what WIS notes. Take it into a dealer or an indy and let them take a look at it to figure it out.

1231 relates to potentiometer sensor 1 reading incorrectly and causes idle and surging problems. It happens because the throttle plate begins making brief closing motions.

1230 is also being caused by 1231 because the sum that the ECU expects from sensor pot 1 and sensor pot 2 do not match.
Awesome. Atleast I know it's not fatal. Maybe to my wallet it is, but the car will live another day.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Well that just depends on whether its a software issue or not. If its not software then you need a new throttle body no matter what. I love having wis to read through the explination of the codes and what triggers them.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

I guess this is what I don't get. AFIK it's never been replaced, so why would it suddenly need new software to continue to work? Granted I like the idea of paying a dealer to update the software vs. buying a new throttle body but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Elder

Well here is the thing. Software updates can be done for a multitude of reasons. 1.) A new version provides better diagnostic resources, 2.) Update to cover a problem occuring on a large scale that you may or may not have experienced.

Also if you buy a new throttle and put it in yourself you still need to make a trip to a dealer or indy to have it calibrated.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

So a software update to make it less tolerant of other conditions...

I wasnt aware it needed calibration after a new one was installed. Oh well, my local dealer was always pretty cool with me when I brought in my '04 Sport Sedan, I might as well give them a call in the morning so I can drop it off and have them give it a look.

Thanks for the advise!
Old 10-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
So a software update to make it less tolerant of other conditions...

I wasnt aware it needed calibration after a new one was installed. Oh well, my local dealer was always pretty cool with me when I brought in my '04 Sport Sedan, I might as well give them a call in the morning so I can drop it off and have them give it a look.

Thanks for the advise!
Not a problem and your welcome. The calibration gives the ECU its basis to know what values to measure with the throttle body. For example lets say your current throttle body when 0% throttle is given reads 0volts but this new throttle might read .1 volts due to some resistance in the sensor itself.....if you didn't recalibrate everything would be off and you'd be right back to square one.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se Send a message via Skype™ to drewz airflow se
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Christ on a pony, $1500?!

Searching around I saw it mentioned that a throttle body was going for something like $280, I wonder what the rest of the blood money was for.

What did your dad end up doing to fix it?
sold the car

^CLICK ME^
Old 10-25-2007, 07:43 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

Well, the dealer did indeed condemn my throttle body. not a cheap part to replace! List price on the part was $461, add on the labor and tax and that was an expensive day.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 AM   #13
Elder

But it's all fixed?

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon
G+ me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.