Heater Fan Not Working? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Heater Fan Not Working?

Hi there thanks for reading and helping me out ok so the heater fan is not blowing on the 9-3 is there a relay or fuse or something I can check it's the SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2007, 03:38 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Well, check the fuse in the fuse box...if that is OK then you'll probably need to pull the any error codes off the system if it has ACC, hold the Auto and Off buttons simultaneously as the car is started.

Could be a bad resistor pack....does the fan work at full blast but no other fan speeds?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Where is the fuse and the resistor pack located? I don't think it works on any speeds did not really get that much time to check it out I was looking for the fuse then he had to go. So I did not get to play with the heater controls just took his word for it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se Send a message via Skype™ to drewz airflow se
yeah you need to hold the off and auto button and the same time. Then come back with the code.

^CLICK ME^
Old 10-12-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Assuming the ACC (automatic climate control) doesn't throw any codes at you (it should come back and read "0", meaning its all good), then the next thing I'd do is check the blower motor itself. It can be fairly easily accessed through the false bulkhead (or aquarium) which is that little area right in front of the windshield where your wiper arms come out of. There are some bolts to get the aquarium cover off, then the wiper motor/arms come off (easier than it looks), then the cabin air filter and the bracket which the filter sits on top of (again, really easy, just a few bolts). Once this is out of the way, it'll expose the connector to the blower motor, check it for power using a voltage meter and/or jumper 12volts to the blower motor and see if it comes on. If it does, its your ACC (climate control screen/computer thing) or your resister pack (basically limits voltage to the blower motor which in turn dictates how fast the motor runs). I've had a few of resister packs go bad on my 9000s and one on my ng900, so I'd bet the OG9-3 is no different in that respect.

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 10-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #6

If the blower motor resistor is bad, you will not get an error code through the ACC unit. This is, of course, assuming you Auto Climate Control and not the manual knobs.

In any case, the fuse is located on the left side of the dash board. Open up the driver's door, and look at the side/end of the dash. There's a fuse panel there with a handy diagram of what's what.

If the fuse is ok, and you know the blower motor is ok, it's most likely the resistor (Saab calls it something fancier). Said resistor is located behind the glovebox. You need to remove the glovebox, a couple smaller trim pieces and the duct going to the passenger side vent. Once it's all out of the way you'll see it in there.

Here's a pic from when I replaced mine. Ignore the dirty floor mats (winter in NH)...

The blower motor resistor is the wire that goes down to the floor. I had already removed the 2 bolts holding it in.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Alright thanks for the info I will keep you posted on what I find.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:09 AM   #8
Elder

Garage
Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
I get the 0 code on mine too, acc, but i can not get any heat out of the vets. What would cause this? I have the setting as high as it will go aon the acc nd it is barely even warm, if that, air. I have a feeling its going to be a very cold winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvinr11 View Post
If the blower motor resistor is bad, you will not get an error code through the ACC unit. This is, of course, assuming you Auto Climate Control and not the manual knobs.

In any case, the fuse is located on the left side of the dash board. Open up the driver's door, and look at the side/end of the dash. There's a fuse panel there with a handy diagram of what's what.

If the fuse is ok, and you know the blower motor is ok, it's most likely the resistor (Saab calls it something fancier). Said resistor is located behind the glovebox. You need to remove the glovebox, a couple smaller trim pieces and the duct going to the passenger side vent. Once it's all out of the way you'll see it in there.

Here's a pic from when I replaced mine. Ignore the dirty floor mats (winter in NH)...

The blower motor resistor is the wire that goes down to the floor. I had already removed the 2 bolts holding it in.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/668055/1999-saab-9-3/

Old 10-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrplyr View Post
I get the 0 code on mine too, acc, but i can not get any heat out of the vets. What would cause this? I have the setting as high as it will go aon the acc nd it is barely even warm, if that, air. I have a feeling its going to be a very cold winter
Do you have any air coming out of the vents? If you have no air, then it's a generally easy fix of blower motor or resistor. At worst the ACC itself.

If there's no heat and your coolant level is where it should be, you should look into the control valves and doors inside the dash and such. I don't know on these Saabs, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had a coolant control valve that opened when the ACC unit requests heat into the car.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
Elder

Garage
I get air but no heat really. The best way i can get the inside of the car warm is to put the climate control on auo/econ mode. Everything else blows out cool/cold air. Coolent level is fine, fan speeds are fine. Where are these valve located? If i take the dash/ front acc panel off ca i get to it or is it deep and into the heater box?

Old 10-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #11

From a quick glance at the WIS, it looks as if there is a Solenoid valve that controls coolant flow to the heater box. Looks to be mounted on or near the firewall, in close proximity to the brake booster. If the solenoid itself is bad you'll get an error code 18 on the ACC, but if no error code comes up, check for vacuum going to the valve itself, which is needed to control the valve.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
Elder

Garage
is the brake boost on the drivers side of the engine near the fuse box. Yeah, I have checked the acc for the past month now and only ever get the 0 code.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #13

Here's the image that goes along with the article on the Heater Box Solenoid Control Valve. This is just a stab in the dark for you...

Interpret it how you like, that's just what I've found for now. If I can come up with anything more I'll post it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.