9-3 Won't Start. Electrical Problem? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 03+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-3 Only

Car Problems? New 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-3 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
SAABeginner

9-3 Won't Start. Electrical Problem?

Hello. This evening my 2007 9-3 Combi went dead in a friends driveway. There was no advance warning. And the car has been great for 5+ years. Turning the key causes several whirring and ticking noises and blinking lights. The car makes no attempt to turn over. Attempts to jump start it change absolutely nothing. After any attempted start the cd tray may even click repeatedly and the interior lights may flicker for a few minutes rapidly before going off or returning to full intensity. It's like suddenly a dozen electrical gremlins have taken over my car.

Turning the key just to the accessories position gives an OK system check except for a failed stability (anti-skid etc) system. Hmmm.

Leading up to this I did have a "right side marker failure" indication periodically every few days for a month. I could not find a single light that was out. I also lost a front right low beam a few weeks ago and replaced it but I think this was unrelated. And one time, only once, about two weeks ago my car shut off a few seconds after it started. I blamed it on a gas/fuel issue as it seemed more of a stall at the time. Perhaps that's unrelated too.

I have read that perhaps a dead battery can cause these issues but it doesn't make sense to me that I can't start the car with a good jump. If this is a dead battery it's not like any I've encountered before. Before I go out and ask for the thing to be towed I'm wondering if it's worth the gamble of a new battery. Anyone got any thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
SAABeginner

Definitely sounds like the battery. My '06 did the same thing a couple of years ago. Once one of the cells is shot the car will not start.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

check battery then check ignition switch

Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Elder

Dead battery. It's very important on the 9-3SS to let the car sit with jump cables connected for ~10 minutes at least before trying to turn it over. The sudden voltage drop on a flat battery freaks out several of the computers. That's why you're seeing the 'Stability Control Failure' message.

Even better is removing the battery completely and putting it on a charger to bring it back up.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
TSLMember

Listen to Drew, he's GREAT...my 2005 9-3 had a dead battery, tried to jump...nothing, then couldn't turn key, bought a new battery...still nothing...no radio, bypassed the ignition switch to get it to turn(underneath switch), and still got nothing....finally i brought it flatbedded to a "non-dealer, but only works on saabs place...CONNTECH in warwick, ri"....they were great....i had replaced the ignition switch,($125) hoping that was the problem, prior to that...but wasn't happening...anyways...had 2 fuses, under the hood blow out...had to replace the CIM (column ignition module) they got it used, with two new keys....and $737 later...she runs like a beauty ... and now the other day, i just bought a 2008 9-5 2.3, totally loaded, nav, heated seat both front and back, never had back seats heated...had 50444 on it, got it for 11,997....so i'm happy....got to get used to driving a "bigger" car....not sure if it handles like my 9-3...which i loved...i was going to buy another 9-3 and thats what i was looking for, but couldn't find one with under 60k, in my price range, except ones without the winter package of heated seats....so i saw this...and bought it....YEAH ...normally wouldn't change my 9-3 for the world, i only bought a new car, because i put approxiamately 100 miles a day on my 9-3, bought it with 50k, and now it's got 149,775, a few miles short of 150k....LOVE MY SAAB ....good luck
Old 04-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
SAABeginner

Drew,
I have replaced the battery and ignition switch on my 2007 Aero Sport Combi. Did not make any difference. When the car acts up, about 30-40% of the time, the only thing that seems to work is removing the negative battery lead for 2-3 minutes reattaching and then the car always starts and drives fines thereafter.

This is obviously not what I want to do in bad weather.

In two trips to a pretty good Saab mechanic they could not replicate the problem and have no suggestions. What can I do? In one of the UK Saab forums there is a lot of discussion about wiring in the engine compartment that becomes frayed or broken. But if that were true then the battery disconnection trick would not work without fail.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
I've had similar things happen with questionable battery wires.
bad ground, bad battery connection, or bad connection @ the starter could cause this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
SAABeginner

Same problem twice since September 17, 2013

Yesterday the car was running fine, stopped at work for a few minutes and when I got back in to start it up...it was dead. The key fob is locked in the centre console ignition and other that basic indicator lights there's no ignition ot start up. Charging it did not work, CAA tested the battery and it's low although it has some cranking amps left. This is a new battery 4 months ago however it's been very cold and I have not driven it other than for short trips for over a month now. With Saab's the battery doesn't have to be dead for the car not to start, it just has to be at a lower level than the car's electrical will accept. My hope is that the battery can be replaced under warranty or be fully charged. A new battery should fix you up fine.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:49 AM   #9
SAABeginner

1996 SAAB 900 turbo convertible. Won't start. No fire, but car turns over. headlights are on, but interior dash lights out. electric windows and convertible top will not come on. Battery has drain and cannot find it. Have checked all fuses and circuit breakers and all good?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Hello,

I own a 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc. I was driving it the other day in the morning then parked it at my place for a while, before driving it again later. Suddenly, it wouldn't start. Not only that, but the key was stuck in the ignition.

My local mechanic, who is an honest guy, suggested to replace the ignition, but I' getting form this forum post that I shouldnt do that? Can anyone here help me with this problem? I
Old 09-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
Elder

These will be specific codes for what is going on (most of the time) if your shop can read the Saab specific codes.

It's really hard to say with certainty what the issue could be over the internet without being able to see exactly what your car is doing unfortunately.

Could be as simple as a dead or dying battery, or the ISM, or it could need more of the components listed here (SCL or CIM).

Quote:
Old 10-27-2014, 03:13 AM   #12
SAABeginner

Battery flat, ignition locked, new CIM required???

Hi Drew,
Similar problem to some others posting. I have a 2005 Saab 9.3 convertible.
A friend drove it and left the ignition in the On position. Next morning I discovered it and couldn't turn the key, everything dead. The Local Automobile Association attempted to start it with jumper leads. No success. Flat-topped to a Saab mechanic. He says it took four hours to figure out that the CIM needed to be replaced (connected the computer to it and it said "can not detect CIM" or similar). Sorry to be non-specific. Wants $AUD1,400 for a new CIM.
Is it possibly true? Could it have been caused by the ignition being on overnight? or by the AA mechanic attempting to jump start it?
Any questions I should ask the Saab mechanic?
Thanks, I'm desperate!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Elder

It's possibly true, and could have been cause by trying to jump start on a completely dead battery unfortunately, but without being able to see what all it's doing there's no way to say with certainty.

Sometimes they just get cranky and letting it sit with power disconnected and ignition switch in LOCK position it'll wake itself back up when a good battery is connected, but sometimes not.

If everything has had the faults cleared and it'll talk to the Tech2 and let you cycle the key and it still has no communication with CIM then it could be fried.

Just make sure none of the fuses got unintentionally popped during the jump-start attempt, go through the fault tracing procedure to make sure that CIM is actually getting power and it's not something else masking the issue.

Quote:
Old 11-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #14
SAABeginner

Drew,
I have a 2007 9-3 2.0T and have changed the battery and starter. The remote seems to be working (lock,unlock,trunk, on, start position). In the service manual it said to reset the clocks and reprogram the key by placing it in the on position. I did not have to set the clock everything is still set. Fuel pump comes on when in the S position. There are no DTC codes and there were no previous problems or indications of any issues. I have not found any fuses blown. Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 12-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #15
SAABeginner

I Figured I would post because from my experience with my saab and fixing it this might help. I own a 03, 9-3 ARC and noticed from time to time car would run great then there was that moment when the car wouldn't want to turn over and also the steering wheel wouldn't lock and when the FOB was put into the ignition, there wasn't the "clicking" sound. I ruled out the NSS, wasn't the fuel pump, and I checked all fuses which were fine. Leading up to the car not starting, I noticed it took longer than a second for the car to actually start. After research on line, and ruling out everything it wasn't, I read that Saabs are notorious for draining the battery. So what worked for me was I disconnected the NEG terminal and hooked up the battery with jumper cables to my wife's car and let it charge for 25 min or so. Then I reconnected the negative terminal (remind you my terminals and NEG ground are free of corrosion) reconnected the NEG jumper cable. Inserted the Key for about five seconds with out trying to start the car, removed the key for a few seconds and tried to start and the car fired right up. I hope this can help anyone who might be having the same problem and I thank you all for your helpful forum posts!! Saved me a ton of money just researching online other than running to the mechanic!!
Old 03-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #16
SAABeginner

this morning my 07 93 saab started fine and i went to the store and would not start i have full power of the car just will not start or crank could it be the CIM
Old 03-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #17
SAABeginner

will try this tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew ouellette View Post
I Figured I would post because from my experience with my saab and fixing it this might help. I own a 03, 9-3 ARC and noticed from time to time car would run great then there was that moment when the car wouldn't want to turn over and also the steering wheel wouldn't lock and when the FOB was put into the ignition, there wasn't the "clicking" sound. I ruled out the NSS, wasn't the fuel pump, and I checked all fuses which were fine. Leading up to the car not starting, I noticed it took longer than a second for the car to actually start. After research on line, and ruling out everything it wasn't, I read that Saabs are notorious for draining the battery. So what worked for me was I disconnected the NEG terminal and hooked up the battery with jumper cables to my wife's car and let it charge for 25 min or so. Then I reconnected the negative terminal (remind you my terminals and NEG ground are free of corrosion) reconnected the NEG jumper cable. Inserted the Key for about five seconds with out trying to start the car, removed the key for a few seconds and tried to start and the car fired right up. I hope this can help anyone who might be having the same problem and I thank you all for your helpful forum posts!! Saved me a ton of money just researching online other than running to the mechanic!!
Old 04-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #18
SAABeginner

My 2007 9-3 2.0T Check engine light is on no other power car won't start nothing happens when key is inserted. All I can see is the check engine light. Issue started 3 days ago while I was detailing interior, battery died. Was able to put on charge car started no problems. Since then the when I go start the car the ignition will not turn, there is no familiar clicking when key inserted. After some playing would finally unlock car would start. However when go to turn off,key would stop at on position and acc power stays on, after some play key would turn off and come out. Twice seen message on SID remove key slightly turn wheel retry. Last night ignition would not turn now SID displays key not recognized contact dealer. Was told to replace key fob batt. And car batt. Replaced both, however when installed new car batt. Heard a strange buzzing or beeping for several seconds, now I have absolutely no power to anything. Key no longer works to even unlock doors. Only thing displayed is solid check engine light.

Not even close to being a mechanic so if any one has any ideas as to what may be the cause I would greatly appreciate the help so when I get to dealer I can bring my own lube. Lol
Old 01-30-2016, 05:51 PM   #19
SAABeginner

What was your issue in the end?

My 2007 1.9TD has a similar issue. It was having a service at the old Saab dealership garage, they called me to say it needed a new battery (I had not had any battery issues so far), so new battery went in yesterday. Now trying to go home from work, seems to be no power, remote doesn't work. Sat in the car using the key on the passenger door, and nothing happens when using the keyfob, no power, but I can hear some quiet noise coming from the front when I was trying to start it.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #20
SAABeginner

In the fuse box next to the battery you will see a red relay. Take out the relay and you will see 4 pins in the fuse box. Get a paper clip or something similar to bridge two of the pins.If you stand in front of the fuse box towards the screen they are the pins on the left and right.Now try and start the car.If this idea does not work then you may contact to Locksmith or dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.