Whining from the front end - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 03+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-3 Only

Car Problems? New 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-3 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Whining from the front end

For the last couple months I've had this whining noise coming from the front end of my car. Originally I thought it was a driver's side wheel bearing, I brought it in, and the garage said I needed a passenger side wheel bearing. They wanted $600, I said

I did buy the bearing and was going to do it myself, but when I finally got it up in the air, there was no play in the wheels, and no change in the noise when doing the whole 'long hard turns' deal.

As far as I can tell:
- It's speed dependant, whining get's louder and faster when speeding up, and the opposite when slowing down.
- It's temperature dependant, the colder it is, the louder it is, and it doesn't really get quieter after I've driven it for 20 or 30 miles.
- It's still there even when the clutch is in.
- Haven't tried taking it out of gear yet, I'll try that on the ride home tonight.

I guess I'm just left with a messed up diff, or pinion bearings, yeah?

2003 9-3 Vector
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Thinking about what I just wrote about it being temperature dependant, maybe that's just a coincidence. Back at Thanksgiving I could hear it, but no one else that drove it, or drove with me could. It was always a really really low whine until about 3 weeks ago when we had a decent cold snap and it started getting pretty loud.

Thinking about it now, it's probably just getting worse, and won't magically get quieter or go away when springtime comes around.

2003 9-3 Vector
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

I can hear it pretty clear in this clip, not sure if anyone else can too.
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/...7/946433ac.mp4

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Elder

Jack the front end up and run the engine, you can usually pretty clearly hear if one side or the other is making wheel bearing noise.

We used to jack one front corner up at a time to only spin one wheel, but don't get too crazy with it, it's not great for the diff.

I've never seen any bearings in the trans get that bad, front wheel bearings are really common though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

i can't get to the clip because something in my browser keeps crashing, post it on youtube and I can take a listen.
2003 Suzuki SV 650
2006 BMW 330xi - Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, 6MT, Sparkling Graphite with Terra Cotta Interior.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhess427 View Post
i can't get to the clip because something in my browser keeps crashing, post it on youtube and I can take a listen.

2003 9-3 Vector
Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
SAABeginner

I think I'm having this same issue. Did you ever come up with an answer?
Thanks!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Elder

Garage
You can feel a bad bearing through the coil spring. Place your hand on the spring and spin the wheel quickly. It will reverberate through the spring steel. This works even when the bearing is not yet loud, but not smooth.

A very skilled mechanic taught me this trick. It works everytime.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopi View Post
I think I'm having this same issue. Did you ever come up with an answer?
Thanks!
Just saw this...it was the transmission. Total suck.

2003 9-3 Vector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.