ECM code P0601 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 03+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-3 Only

Car Problems? New 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-3 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
SAABeginner

ECM code P0601

I recently purchased an 03 9-3 ARC with the B207R Highoutput turbo. It is my 1st Saab, and I have enjoyed the heck out of this little ride.
A week ago I had an engine light come on then the car died. I plugged in my code reader (yes, I had it in the car) and it gave me a P0601 internal memory check sum error.
I was able to clear the message and be on my way by pulling fuse F2 in the engine bay fuse panel. That just got me home, and I swapped cars until this problem is resolved.
I am 90% sure that I need to replace the ECU an get it reprogrammed via my saab dealer. I am considering getting a ECU from a donor car.
My big question to you guys is this, Lets say the part number on the ECU is 55352688 and I find the same part number out of another car, but it has a LPT (Low pressure Turbo) and a 6 speed manual (mine is 5sp auto), will that make a difference when purchasing the ECU.
I know computers are a tough match, and I would like to do it right the first time to get this car back on the road.
Thanks guys.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Elder

Transmission or model year should theoretically not matter, you can get any B207x ECM and it can be programmed to your car.

If it is a different model year or engine output you will have to have the shop 'SPS program' the computer, not just 'add' it to the car, SPS-ing codes the firmware.

I've had to replace about 5 -7 ECM's all for P0601, a few '03's, and one '04, one '05, and one '06 in the last year alone, all got used computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Hey, I really appreciate your reply ..... That is GREAT news to me. I will get one ordered, and follow up shortly. Again ,,,,,, Thank you!!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
SAABeginner

Thanks again DrewP .... you were dead right on the ECM part number theory. I got the donor ECM, and had it programmed to the car, P0601 is hopefully a thing of the past now ... She is running great again, and I am a happy camper.

I dont know if I am allowed to ask additional questions pertaining to the same repair scenario or not .. But, here goes nothing.

While they were in there programming the ECM I asked them if they could disable the daytime driving lights, they did, and now myfront Fog/Driving Lights are non-functional is that normal? The backup Fog Lights will work as long as the headlight switch is turned on .... but No front Fog/Driving lights period.

Lastly ... I was quoted the programming would cost me $150.00, and it ended up costing $250.00. Did I get ripped? I still feel I got out cheap because total repair was @ $400.00 including the ECM, and tow to the facility.

I am just trying to guage others thoughts as to if I should possibly use another repair facility if and when I have a need to.

Thanks again for your help getting this back on the road ... What a Relief !!! Your feedback was extremely valued!!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Elder

The body computers may just need re-coded to get the fogs working again, re-code both BCM and UEC modules so that they match for no daytime lights, and front fogs activated.

Make sure the fog bulbs aren't burned out first, you never know....

Cost for that sort of thing will vary wildly, I think you got a good price, might not have been that cheap at my shop, but hard to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.