Engine not idling... cuts off at stop lights.. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 03+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-3 Only

Car Problems? New 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-3 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Engine not idling... cuts off at stop lights..

I have to keep car in neutral with RPM's cranked when coming to a stop... car has run great for years... & this just started happening for no particular reason... before I take it to dealer (for a $400 whatever), wondering if it makes sense to run some high octane gas thru (I always use 87) and some fuel additive of some sort... or is that just a waste of time? I appreciate your thoughts...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
Elder

Could be a vacuum leak. Though being a T8 car, you could have CEL if that were true.

Not sure what else.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshiple View Post
I have to keep car in neutral with RPM's cranked when coming to a stop... car has run great for years... & this just started happening for no particular reason... before I take it to dealer (for a $400 whatever), wondering if it makes sense to run some high octane gas thru (I always use 87) and some fuel additive of some sort... or is that just a waste of time? I appreciate your thoughts...
Check your spark plugs and DI

Also, put a can of seafoam in your gas tank when you are close to E, then fill up with premium.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
SAAB Road Master

I thought T8 cars don't have DI cassettes? Could be something wrong with your idle air control valve, but then again T8 would probably throw a code. Is your car auto or manual?
Old 11-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Legit
Oh never mind, I was thinking about the newer 9-5s. Never mind
Old 11-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
T8 doesnt have an IAC. sounds like a throttle body failure. codes would be nice..
Old 12-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I've heard bad (and I guess good, for that matter) things about seafoam.

I think the manual says use 91 or higher octane. Check it out. I was saying in another thread that I was forced to use 89 for a day and the car seems to hesitate more. It's much smoother with premium.

Other than that, I'd check plugs first - even before getting a code pulled just because it's simple to do. Fouled plugs can be found via google search so you know if yours look good or not.

'04 9-3 Aero
Old 12-03-2008, 03:16 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
plugs really only cause starting issues in these cars but i guess its worth a try i highly doubt it will fix your car tho

please dont do sea foam this is a sport sedan not some 200k plus c900 that hasnt been taken car of for 15+ yrs

codes will answer your question GET THEM FIRST!!!! 9-3SS trow a code for looking at it wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.