convertible top stopped working, relays click - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum > Car Problems? Classic 900 Only

Car Problems? Classic 900 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Classic 900, post your question in here.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Elder

convertible top stopped working, relays click

OK, so I got a new battery and the car fires right up.

Today was gorgeous so I wanted to drive this darn vert!

But alas, the top won't work. (yes, I drove it anyways with all the windows down and pretended the to was down too)
  • It worked fine when I put it away for winter
  • the relays "click" but...
  • ...the pump/motor is not running
  • Yes I have the parking brake on, the relays only click with the parking brake on, so that saefty function seems to work OK
  • I pulled the back seat and:
    • there is fluid in the lines and reservoir
    • I used a circuit tester on the back of the relays under the seat.
    • The tester lit for both relays when I operate the roof switch and they click loudly
    • Although there is power at the relays, not sure what wires are what, if I was getting power IN or OUT of them
    • I tested for power at the plastic connector where the roof motor connects to the wiring harness and I got nothin'
So - what next?
bad relay(s)?

wiring?

anyone?

bueler?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
2004 9-5 aero wagon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

The power wires on the relay ought to be larger gauge to the point you can distinguish them; however, a relay won't burn out just sitting.

I would see if you can chase a ground for the motor, if you've got no ground you won't get good power flow to it. Sounds like this likely isn't the problem but grounds cause all kinds of strange things to happen.

I had trouble with my sunroof doing this, and it turned out to be the switch (there is some kind of overload circuit built in to prevent the sunroof / top from operating if there is too much load, and mine was sucking up all the voltage).

88 900 SiS 'vert (Dad's baby)
88 900 SPG SOLD
93 GMC Typhoon 492hp/521ft lb turbo a2a AWD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Site Moderator

Send a message via AIM to jk88
Dumb question, but would the relays click if the fuse was blown? I go through a half dozen fuses a year and I don't remember if the relays click when it needs a one... but the fuse is always the first thing I check.

It might be different in your 90, but my 88 uses the VW style fuses (25 amp) on top of the passenger side of the engine bay:

88 900T Convertible @ 99K, SD APC, 3.0 FPR, TE05, 3" TB w/ Magnaflow, Lesjofors/Konis, Scanwest Built Trans, 16" Cross Spokes
Old 05-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
Elder

Oh sweet!

I totally thought to check fuses and engine bay relays also, but I was looking in the fuse panel/box and none of them said anything about the convertible top!

So this black capsule thing is the fuse for the top? I'll look into that, THANKS!!!!

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
2004 9-5 aero wagon
Old 05-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
Elder

Do you hear any motor noise at all? Or just....

Nothing?

Also, stupid comment, but I found myself missing it when I first got our convertible years ago: Make sure the handbrake is pulled. There is a safety cut-out switch that will prevent the top motor from working if the parking brake is not engaged.

Edit: You said the relays are clicking. If they're clicking, they're not burned out. Check to make sure you have enough hydraulic fluid. (You say there's fluid, but how old, and does it need to be changed?)

Pull one of the motors to the pumps, and see if you can run them on just a car battery -- are they any good anymore?

(Though in the garage, my 'vert's top is down and ready to go: I'll be taking it to a business meeting in Baltimore tomorrow. Supposed to be gorgeous...)

'91 900 Turbo SE Convertible
'93 900 Turbo CE #116, modified
'02 9-5 Aero SportWagon, MT
'06 GTO, modified
'08 9-7X 6.0 Aero. The fastest stock Saab I've owned, bar none.

Last edited by Talladega900; 05-02-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #6
Elder

I already posted this above, but the motor does not run and there is fluid,
The relays only click when the parking brake is applied, which says to me that the cutout switch works fine

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
2004 9-5 aero wagon
Old 05-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
Elder

yeah, I saw that after the fact. Check my most recent edits.

Just sounds like there's not enough power getting to the batteries, or perhaps something binding up the top to prevent movement. I've noticed my top's motors are really starting to struggle with age...

'06 GTO, modified

Last edited by Talladega900; 05-02-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
Elder

from the saabsite:

Quote:
It is fairly common to see issues with the convertible top not working because of a blown fuse. The fuse is located under the hood just to the right of the fresh air intake. There will be a little black fuse holder that will hold the fuse. On cars prior to 1990 the fuse holder will need to be twisted to get it apart. On cars later than 1991 a different fuse holder was used and houses a glass fuse.

NOTE: Another issue that exist is that the convertible top relay will fail. When this fails you will find that you will hear a clicking noise from under the rear seat. Replacement of the convertible top relay is the cure.
So as suggested by jjorgensen52 I will check the fuse...

The info is this thread about the clicking conflicts with what it says on thesaabsite... Since the fuse is cheaper I will start there first

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
2004 9-5 aero wagon
Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #9
Elder

OK so that "vw style/torpedo fuse"... probably the culprit.

I opened up the black housing and this tiny blue plastic thing falls out, with shards of metal that looks corroded. The fuse was clearly damaged and in pieces...

So, off to the store to try and find a new one. I bet that solves it!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
2004 9-5 aero wagon
Old 05-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
Elder

awesome! I jumped the two halves of the fuse holder with a wire and the top works.
So I grabbed some new fuses, installed and it's all good!

Thanks jk88, I totally would not have known to look away from ALL THE REST OF THE FUSES for this one !!!

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
2004 9-5 aero wagon
Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
Site Moderator

Glad to help. Congrats on an easy fix.

88 900T Convertible @ 99K, SD APC, 3.0 FPR, TE05, 3" TB w/ Magnaflow, Lesjofors/Konis, Scanwest Built Trans, 16" Cross Spokes
Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
SAABeginner

Unhappy Convertible top work

Can somebody tell me where the fluid is located for the convertible top on 91 saab 900s..My top quite working, not sure why,,,help
Old 07-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
Elder

Under the back seat. Lift straight up on the seat bottom, it comes right out.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

'06 GTO, modified
Old 08-01-2011, 03:02 AM   #14
SAABeginner

fluid for top, relay switches

I lifted up the back seat found the relays switches and not clicking, do I replace both? Where do I buy them from? I looked for the fluid under the back seat and didn't see where it is.. does anyone have a picture of where it is? I have 91 saab 900s conv. thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Site Moderator

Did you already check the fuse?

The fluid is in a big reservoir on the passenger side of the car. It's kind of hard to miss with the lower portion of the back seat removed.

If the piston rams have allowed the fluid to leak out, there is usually an oily spot on the ground in front of the rear tires. There is a floor drain right there. Also, with the top open, you can shine a flashlight down in the piston well and see if the rams themselves are oily, or there is oil pooled at the bottom.

If there is fluid in the reservoir and the fuse is good, then try the relay. It's about $70 from eEuro and I think you only need one. The relay is mounted underneath the metal seat support, right next to the reservoir.

Last edited by jk88; 08-01-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #16
SAABeginner

All of the above is awesome info, guys- thanks. Here's my question- what fluid do I use in the resevoir? I see it is clear and am thinking hydraulic pump fluid will do the trick and save me a few $$ over the stuff from my local dealer. The top is very slow to raise- lowers fine- and the fluid level looks a little low so I am hopeful all it needs is a top-off...
Old 08-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #17
SAABeginner

what I meant to say was hydraulic floor jack fluid...
Old 08-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I know www.epartsland.com sells plenty of hard to come by stuff. They probably have the top relays if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Indeed. Here ya go.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #20
SAABeginner

I lifted the back seat out and there were the relays on the drivers side. I didn't see the reservoir for the fluid, Under the seat on the pass side is a long metal thing (i'm thinking the motor for the top) the reservoir must be under the metal sheet that holds up the seat...Is it a clear container that holds the fluid....I'm confused...HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.