1999 9-5 wont start - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 98-09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
SAABeginner

1999 9-5 wont start

Hello Folks,
Hope some folks out there can help me.
Car will not start. Since I do not have any schematics am taking wild guess only.

1) Engine will fire if i inject starting fluid into the intake manifold. This confirms ignition circuit is OK.
2) Crank position sensor replaced
3) Fuse #19 fuel pump circuit checks OK with 12v
4) Can hear pump running when ignition switched on.
5) tried jumping #87 and #30 on fuel relay , fuel pump runs, car still wont start
6) fuel rail on top of engine indicates fuel. Did not check fuel pressure yet.
Did I miss anything ? I am stumped. Hope someone can give me a clue.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Fuel - After you crank the car, look for the fuel valve, looks like a giant tire valve on the fuel rail. If you take the cap off, and momentarily press the valve, do you get gas (Note: you are testing for live fuel, put a rag underneath and be careful).

Autozone has a fuel pressure tester for <$40 with coupon, it attaches directly to the fuel rail and gives you fuel pressure reading. Note: It too will spray gas, ask me how I know

Spark - Look at the black DIC aka DI, is the connector on the end? There are four bolts, pull it off and if a buddy has another one, test with it. Look at the DIC, is it cracked, burned, etc? Harvey's Autohaus has a great demo of T7 systems in the 9-3 forums, there is a test to see if you have spark.

Codes: Is the check engine light on? Can you get a code reader and report back the codes, note most code readers can show the codes, it takes an internet search or special tool to check Saab specific codes.

Air: Check the MAF, Mass Air Flow Sensor, and other air related sensors.
01 9-5 auto
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Yes , there is fuel on the fuel rail.d Pump is working by shorting #30 and #87 on the fuel relay.
Swapped with a known good DIC. Still will not start
Yes, it does fire momentarily when I squirt starter fluid on the intake. This means ignition is good ?.
Is there a way to check whether the immobilizer has been activated to prevent starting ? Thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldjason View Post
Yes , there is fuel on the fuel rail.d Pump is working by shorting #30 and #87 on the fuel relay.
Swapped with a known good DIC. Still will not start
Yes, it does fire momentarily when I squirt starter fluid on the intake. This means ignition is good ?.
Is there a way to check whether the immobilizer has been activated to prevent starting ? Thanks in advance
Immobilizer is not crank condition

You are not getting fuel its seems have you chacke pressure you need at least 30 psi at the rail to charge the injectors Check fuel pressure, oh you were told that already

Last edited by jssaab; 10-06-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Do you have a Check Engine Light on at all? Limp Home Mode can prevent the car from starting as we;;. Happened to me when my Throttle Body was bad and triggering LHM every so often. If I started the car with the gas pedal half depressed it would crank and start right away. Sent the TB to BBA Re-manufacturing and have had no troubles since.

Here is a (kinda bad) video that shows how to check and reset LHM.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
SAABeginner

Angry

Hello Saab Gurus,
I did checked the fuel pressure. It was 35 PSI. I suspect this darn thing is associated with the alarm system shutting off the fuel supply.
Also the luggage compartment release on the driver's side door will not function.
Also I cannot open the luggage compartment manually with the key.
Is there a way to open the luggage compartment manually ?. I do see a mechanical release for the fuel cap but not for the luggage compartment
when I crawl inside from the rear seat to seach for any kind of release mechanism.

Is there a way to completely disable the alarm system. It is causing too much problem for all it is worth from what I have read from the posts. Damn the GM designers ! The "Saab" brand has been permanently damaged as far as I am concerned.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
SAABeginner

Cranking the engine did produce an error code of P1460. The Immobilizer did kick in immobilizing the car. Looks like it needs to be unlocked with the Tech 2 tool. Unless there is another alternative, must have it reprogrammed by a dealer. Someone did say when they disconect the alarm module, (not just pulling the fuses or relay) the car may start up.
Any one care to confirm this before I start trying it ? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.