Anyone Replaced the Automatic Shift Cover - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 98-09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Anyone Replaced the Automatic Shift Cover

A bit nit picky, but the plastic accordian piece that rides along with the automatic shifter is kaput. It no longer covers the mechanism in park or while in drive. Has anyone replaced this? Details? Parts list?

Feff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Here is the part:

eEuroparts - Shifter Jalouise - # 4777173

My friend did this on his 9-5. First pull the parking brake and put it in Neutral. Then, working from memory here, he pulled up the little rubber piece around the PRNDML panel by hand (careful though, make sure you get the plastic piece that's on the bottom of the rubber part, because he accidentally pulled the rubber off that and that little piece seems to be hard to find). Once you have that off, there should be some screws holding the PRNDML panel on. Undo those and lift it up. It won't come all the way off, so you might want to have someone hold it for you while you replace the jalousie. What he did to replace the jalousie itself was cut the old one off using wire clippers then he clipped one side of the part that goes around the shifter on the new one and slid it into place. Then reassembled.

Hope this helps. If you need something clarified, let me know.

2003 9-5 Arc
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

I have some pictures of that job, on a 2001 9-5. The pic's are on my profile. I took the hole shifting unit out. Not to bad of a job. Sometimes it is easier to remove more parts, so you can work without getting irritated. But thats me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Elder

Garage
Cutting a slit to fit it around would sure be easier! I may look at that next time.

I usually remove the shifter handle itself. Which requires breaking and reconnecting the sport button wiring. There is also a tiny screw behind the shifter button that you should know about. It's all a bit of a pain and I give myself a good hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.