Car died, no power at all. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 98-09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #1
TSLMember

Car died, no power at all.

My sons 2000 9-5 2.3 had shut off on him a few days ago.
He started it, backed out of a parking spot, put it into drive and the car completely shut off.
He put it into park, and restarted it, the ACC system restarted (showing O), and drove it home with no more issues (5 miles).
Today while checking it out, I was able to get the ACC system to restart by turning the ignition off and on a few times, I could start the car and it would run fine.
I let it run for a while, and then went to park it, when I moved the shifter from Park to Drive, the car shut off, no electrical power at all to the car at any position of the ignition switch.

Waited a bit and it now works normal and starts right up, any clues?

The Alternator and Battery have been replaced and are functioning properly.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
Elder

Garage
Automatic? Sounds like a neutral safety switch going bad. This is a VERY common failure on 2001MY - but also will fail on the rest, just not as common. Do all the lights turn on with the key, but it does not click or crank when it acts up? I assume it's an automatic?

Neutral Saftey Switch (NPN Switch)
Part # 5256060

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...spx?id=5256060
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

You will know for sure if it is the NSS by turning the car to the on position, but not turning the car engine on and moving the gear selector back and forth 5 or 6 times somewhat quickly...if it works fine for a while, this is the problem...shifting back and forth from top to bottom will clean the contacts off...you should replace the part soon though...this is an old Volvo trick.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #4
Elder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cking1975 View Post
You will know for sure if it is the NSS by turning the car to the on position, but not turning the car engine on and moving the gear selector back and forth 5 or 6 times somewhat quickly...if it works fine for a while, this is the problem...shifting back and forth from top to bottom will clean the contacts off...you should replace the part soon though...this is an old Volvo trick.
That "old Volvo" trick does not always work on Saab's however - it's a hit or miss temp fix. Usually it works like banging on the fuel pump does for a bad pump - works a few times if you're lucky - but eventually it's just going to be dead.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
TSLMember

Yes, automatic.
When it shut down, it was dead.
No lights on the dash, no clicks from the starter.
Turning the key did nothing, just like the battery was disconnected.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
Elder

Garage
Be sure to inspect the battery cables then - you could be getting lots of resistance from a corroded or loose cable dropping the connection. I'd be looking at that first. Then the ignition switch below the ignition cylinder.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #7
TSLMember

The cables appear to be OK and are tight, what specifically should I be looking for?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
TSLMember

Success??

I just checked everything again, this time I followed the smaller positive cable to the maxifuse holder, took off the cover and found the nut that holds the 2 cables there was loose, not even hand tight.
I cleaned the connections and tightned the nut.

Do you think this was the whole problem?
Old 10-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to mySaab900
that might have been the problem, but I would agree with the NSS theory. It also sounds a little like a CPS (crank positioning sensor). But usually the CPS shuts the engine off at highway speed, not just parking lot speed. Just another theory.

'91 Saab c900 N/A (RIP)
'03 Saab 9-3 2.0t Arc
Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I think the CPS is more a temp based symptom rather than the speed of the car...usually the faulty CPS shows signs of failing when attempting a warm start...there is only one way to tell, drive the car and see if the problem goes away...
Old 10-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
TSLMember

Thanks for everyone's help.

My experience with the NSS and CPS is they can prevent the car from starting/running, but have no relation to a complete power drop where nothing works.
The car ran fine last night, and my son drove it to school this morning, no phone call yet so hopefully it's solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.