Oil leak dip stick - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 98-09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Oil leak dip stick

Ever since I upgraded my crank vent system oil has been leaking out of my dip stick...I tried cleaning the seal and it still leaks ??? i got under the car today and you can see it is dripping down on the intake manifold...

Last edited by cking1975; 08-31-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
User
Elder

Garage
Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cking1975 View Post
Ever since I upgraded my crank vent system oil has been leaking out of my dip stick...I tried cleaning the seal and it still leaks ??? i got under the car today and you can see it is dripping down on the intake manifold and all over the alternator etc...any ideas on how to fix this ???
What's with the random fb picture?

Last edited by aireeca; 08-31-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

dude I was fixing it...you must have boost
Old 08-31-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
SAAB Road Master

you can delete that...please
Old 08-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Elder

Garage
I dunno - if that is leaking you got other issues: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2425596_n.jpg

Why is your filler cap like blackish purple??? Yo may have a bad cap - aside from that, is the check valve new from the VC to the TB? If that is blocked it COULD cause problems. Sure you routed everything right?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
SAAB Road Master

I will check it...I had to modify it a little because the TB on my car is from a 2004 Saab 9-5...when i bought the TB off Ebay a few years ago I had not idea they were different...this makes me wonder if I am getting pressure in the hose attached to the oil filler tube...
Old 09-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Update:

My mechanics employee added 1 extra quart of oil to my engine and this was causing the oil to seep out of the hose that runs from the pre-turbo pipe to the oil filler neck...grrr.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
SAABeginner

cking 1975, has this problem now gone?? I've been experiencing this same problem for a few weeks now and it aint down to oil level 'cause mine is spot on and never overfilled. I got version 6 pcv system fitted, had a sump drop, changed the cam cover and oil is still being forced out of the dip stick!!
Anyone got any ideas, i'm at my wits end guys.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Im actually going to discuss this with the mechanic that has my car tomorrow...I also still have the problem after the oil level was fixed...he said something about one of the check valves not flowing well enough on one of the hoses...I will let you know
Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
SAABeginner

This is my believe as well, although all mine are new, unless there are others besides the pcv system.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
SAABeginner

cking1975, any update on this problem yet??
Old 09-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #12
SAAB Road Master

The shop told me that if oil is leaking out of the filler, go back to the old system with fresh hoses, check valves and change your oil every 5K or less with Synthetic 5-30...he has many cars that have been coming to him with 200K plus miles and the OE PCV system with no problems...he said the problems started when the hoses wore out, the oil chages were too far apart and the non synthetic oil was used...Im actually going to get rid of that hose going to the oil filler and cap it...this was even stated here in this article...What was really interesting to hear is the suction is so strong, that when I check HOSE A for suction it blew my turbo seals in my old turbo and sucked oil into the exhaust side of the turbo...this system is dangerous in my opinion

You may say this is not possible, but I confirmed it with the Saab mechanic, and if you dont think it is possible...stick your hand over HOSE A for a few seconds and find out what happens
About November 2003.
Once again more modifications are needed.
More modifications aiming to improve the crankcase ventilation system is done. The connection for hose C at the valve cover is blocked and hose C is instead conencted to a nipple screwed into the oil filler neck. The restriction in the connection for hose B on the oil trap is drilled from 4mm (or 6.5mm) to 10mm and a check valve with a restriction is mounted on hose B. The check valve with a restriction replaces the restriction in the oil trap and is free flowing in the direction from the oil trap to the inlet side of the turbo and a restriction for air in the opposite direction.
Saab article nummer 5962428 is a kit with all parts needed for modification 3.
Even this design has its problems, e.g. hose C is still used to evacuate gasses without using the oil trap. This is very likely the reason why som many owners complain about high oil consumption after this modification. Tests on my 95 shows that 1ml of oil for each 10km (i.e. 1 liter of oil for 10000km) is sucked out of the engine through hose C. This matches what is reported for other engines.
The ventilation through hose C is now so strong that it, on some engines, sucks air past the gasket under the yellow lid. When the weather is humid this results in moist air entering the oil filler neck and a yellow-white oil-water-mix is created under the yellow lid.
This modification apperars to be done only when the owner complains about the earlier described problems. No markings on the campaign plate.
The modification kit was withdrawn by Saab in December 2004 and this modification should no longer be done. This is probably because of the increase in oil consumption caused by this modification.

Last edited by cking1975; 09-28-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking1975 View Post
Saab article nummer 5962428 is a kit with all parts needed for modification 3.
cking1975, you're quoting modification 3 when i have #6 installed, now i'm real confused.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:54 AM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Try putting a better flowing check valve on the small hose from the cam cover...this seems to be working...if not go back to the original Crank Case Vent system...I was only using the diagram above as a reference to the hose that goes into the oil filler neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.