Temp Gauge drops to zero - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 98-09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Temp Gauge drops to zero

2002 9-5 120000 miles. Temp Gage drops to zero after driving about 10 miles am I correct to assume it is a thermostat issue staying open and should this repair be done by an untrained person such as myself or should I go my Saab expert?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Elder

yup needs a new thermostat.

it s a relatively simple job. just requires moving more things outta the way than removing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
User
Elder

Garage
Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
This could also be the coolant temp sensor... does the check engine light come on?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingZACH View Post
This could also be the coolant temp sensor... does the check engine light come on?
Yes, the check engine light does come on.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
User
Elder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjim View Post
Yes, the check engine light does come on.
It's the coolant temp sensor... not the thermostat. Get it fixed as it can do wacky things to T7.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Elder

the cel can come on for rich condition though, which would be caused by it stuck in warm up mode with a stuck open thermostat.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
Same thing happened to mine last year. Code PO128 Thermostat Temp below threshold. It was a thermostat and replaced under warranty.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/HIDSPG
Old 01-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
SAABeginner

Quote:
It's the coolant temp sensor... not the thermostat. Get it fixed as it can do wacky things to T7.
I can drive it to the shop without doing any damage correct?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
User
Elder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjim View Post
I can drive it to the shop without doing any damage correct?
Yeah... it happened on my mom's 9-5. Only way to know for sure is to get it plugged in and get the code(s) read. Any autozone could do it.

Do you get any heat in the cabin?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Follow up

Quote:
Yeah... it happened on my mom's 9-5. Only way to know for sure is to get it plugged in and get the code(s) read. Any autozone could do it.

Do you get any heat in the cabin?
It was not the Temp sensor or Thormostate as I just had them replaced it was a short in the engine harness instead of replacing the harness they cut and resoldered a new joint at J17 of the harness and cleared the code and everything seems fine now.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Most of the time it is a faulty coolant temp sensor or thermostat. Here we replace both as they are pretty cheap and see failures of both. Dont want a come back due to only replacing one of the two simple items. Seen a faulty joint in the harness once as well, which wjim noted above.
JustinHiFi
Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

this is a problem with the thermostat!

straight from Saab:

Subject: Coolant Gauge Drops With DTC P0116 Setting - keywords

Models:

1994-1998 Saab 900
1994-1998 Saab 9000
1999-2009 Saab 9-3
1999-2009 Saab 9-5

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

CONDITION/CONCERN:

A technician may find an intermittent check engine light and the coolant temperature gauge drops to cold while driving. There are usually no concerns of loss of heater performance, although it is possible. The ECM has stored DTC p0116 for coolant temperature sensor performance.

RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIONS:

Have technician replace the engine coolant thermostat to repair. When the engine control module detects the engine coolant takes too long to heat up, (as compared to its internal model) it will set DTC P0116 and the MIU will command the temperature gauge to cold.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
TSLMember

This happens to my 9-5 as well. This is the second time it has happened. First time they replaced the engine coolant temp sensor. Worked fine for a while...now it's happening again...the engine temp gauge is dropping to zero...so mostly likely it is the thermostat. I believe dealer fixes for about $175 total which includes parts and labor.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
Elder

My mom had the sensor replaced on her 95 a few weeks ago...but I happened to see that it dropped to cold today.

Gonna need a thermostat soon...
Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
User
Elder

Garage
Well yes, it's wise to replace both the sensor and the thermostat as they're both fairly inexpensive items.

Interesting that it turned out to be the harness.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
TSLMember

Quote:
Well yes, it's wise to replace both the sensor and the thermostat as they're both fairly inexpensive items.

That's exactly what my dealer did...parts are very cheap and labor wasn't too bad, just an hour.
I also finally got the dual climate fixed in my car...I was getting no heat on driver's side...the Lansing, IL dealer said it was the first time they did this cheaper fix on the heater box doors that swivel to adjust heat...it was only $250 versus $2000 to fix the entire heater box!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
SAABeginner

Sensor?

Can someone tell me if the CEL is on and the temp gauge works sometimes but others just drops to cold while driving...and the air conditioner stops blowing cold air all of a sudden...is this a sensor issue? Before today, that is exactly what happened. And I could turn the car off and right back on and the temp gauge and AC would work again. But today, the AC stopped blowing cold without the Temp gauge dropping to cold and turning the car off and on did not fix the AC issue. Thoughts???
Old 07-15-2010, 03:38 AM   #18
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Quote:

That's mine lately. Whenever this happens I pull over and jingle the wire to the thermistor. Comes right back. Happens very rarely, but it's my new first step when this issue comes up.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:01 AM   #19
Avid TSL User

Where is the coolant temperature sensor on a 2004 9-5 AERO? Looks like mine has shot craps.

Feff
Old 01-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Again if your temp gauge drops to zero it is the thermostat if accompanied by a CEL its is the Temp sensor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.