D.I or not to D. I (misfire) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 98-09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
TSLMember

D.I or not to D. I (misfire)

I have had this misfire issue for about two weeks. I pulled the plugs and found black soot all over them ( they where brand new by the way maybe two weeks old before this misfire issue). I got a D.I from a salvage yard and they did the same thing to some more brand new platty plugs. It is throwing random misfire codes. p0300 p1300.
I figured that the salvage d.i was no good so i am going to give it another try since i finally got reinburst for the part this week.
I guess the question is, has anybody had the same issue before with my symptoms ?
Or has anybody been down this road with another root cause?
I figure it's the d.i for sure but i haven't found a known good one yet. I'm getting another this week off a car with lower miles.
thanks again.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
What spark plugs are you using? Should be BCPR6ES-11 if I'm not mistaken. If you're using the right plugs i say try out a new/different DIC then the ones you have been trying

Last edited by Moreboost; 10-08-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
Elder

the only plugs you can use are the saab recomended ones because their used to detect knock! Black soot thought usually means over fuelling in which case I would investigate the maf and not boost the car at all! Normally a bad maf would cause lean conditions but you never know with t7

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 10-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
I ALWAYS user NGK R plugs. As that is the Saab/GS recommended use. For info see GS website on what's what with regard to Saab plugs: http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/sparkplugsdi.htm
Old 10-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
TSLMember

Thanks guys

I got a spare Maf, from some unwanted known good parts i got, i'll try that.
I do know that i did not use ngk to replace my plugs with upon both times right before the initial issue started. (that's a good look out on that)
I'll swap out the maf and try it with the proper plugs. I am debating now whether or not i should wait on another d.i to try and see if the maf swap was the route cause. Although i don't have no codes.
yeah i was figureing ( black soot) was just lack of ignition. but i was wondering for what reason.).
Old 10-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev7n007 View Post
I got a spare Maf, from some unwanted known good parts i got, i'll try that.
I do know that i did not use ngk to replace my plugs with upon both times right before the initial issue started. (that's a good look out on that)
I'll swap out the maf and try it with the proper plugs. I am debating now whether or not i should wait on another d.i to try and see if the maf swap was the route cause. Although i don't have no codes.
yeah i was figureing ( black soot) was just lack of ignition. but i was wondering for what reason.).
You should change the plugs regardless, then swap in the maf and see what happens
Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
TSLMember

thanks i'm going to try that. ( swap in the maf and change the plugs)
I really hope it's as simple as the proper plugs, and if that's the case i learned something new about the way saab does stuff. Thanks again guys i'll let you know what ha[[ens although i think i might want to wait for another d. i first cause i'm going through plugs like crazy. When i pull the ( black soot ones) plugs i couldn't imagine useing them. they just look like they are at the brinnk of being fouled up.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
TSLMember

Plugs, D.I.....

Well i got another D.I cassette today and put in ngk iridium plugs. Unfortunatly I have the same result at first start up it seemed ok but after haveing to power the vehicle in order to hold a idle without stalling. I have come to the conclusion that i am still at square one.
Does anyone know whether or not the plugs i listed above are proper for my vehicle? I have a another air flow meter that i am going to swap in tomorrow but i fear i might just get the same results just cause i have noo such codes that lead me there.
I'm going inot more trouble shooting starting with the D.I input harness just to see if the voltages there are correct. But other than that the only ideas i got is maybe a clogged cat or maybe in take. stifling the system from air. (or not letting exhaust out)
This is the second D.I now and i'm starting to think maybe it's not the obvious.
If anyone has anymore ideas on tracking down the troubled componant please tell.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreboost View Post
What spark plugs are you using? Should be BCPR6ES-11 if I'm not mistaken. If you're using the right plugs i say try out a new/different DIC then the ones you have been trying
NGK BCPR7ES gapped to 1.0mm. They are $3ea/ at Napa auto
Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
TSLMember

Question thanks

the 30 bucks for 4 plugs really suck . i think i just fouled out the 30 buck ones too. I pull them out tomorrow and continue .......

Last edited by Sev7n007; 10-17-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:04 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I know the DI will start missing at high boost. These are non stock boost levels so on the average car the DI will seem good, but when you put it on a tuned or even MBCed car the DI will mis. I have a ton of those but they will still start the car and run it at normal boost levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 10-17-2009, 06:23 AM   #12
TSLMember

Unhappy well

The only mods i have done to my vehicle is a tdo4h swap and that's all pretty much the vehicle is bone stock. I can't get the vehicle to hold a idle without stalling, it's missing so bad.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
Elder

You sure you dont have a leak some where? Check the IC piping, sounds like that the problem or something similar.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
TSLMember

Talking Thanks guys

I tracked it down to the maf and the d.i. It is hitting all day now ( no misses).
Thanks for everyone's help. kinda felt like i was running in circles. I'm also glad my 30 dollar plugs where not fouled out too. Good looking out ngk iridiums.
Although the work isnot totally done I have anotherissue that came up but i'm going to start a new thread for that.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
Elder

You know those plugs aren't the right ones
Old 10-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #16
TSLMember

Red face I think you might be right about that......

Yeah i believe the iridiums are capatible with the turbo vehicles that take the 6 series. The 7 is for high load (colder tolerences and hotter).
Do you recommend that i use the specific one stated in the charts cause i have no problem buying 3 dollar ones over the 7 dollar ones i just purchased. I mean what's right is right. I know they are resistor and top of the line ngk. On the genuine saab site it talks how the 7 series can be a alternative to the more specific based 6.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #17
Elder

http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/sparkplugsdi.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.