100k mile check up. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 98-09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via ICQ to Chapel Send a message via AIM to Chapel
100k mile check up.

We have a 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t Wagon
So, we've been replacing bits and pieces here and there (this year):
new battery
PCV System #6 was done today
new throttle body
new flex pipe
new tires

oil change every 3000 miles since we purchased it in 2005.

Here are some of the potential problems:
Car smokes for about 2 seconds on cold start.
SID is cooked
lights on the right half of the tach are out.

I'm also looking for some information on other things I should be looking out for as it ages. We need to determine if we should sell it now and get out of the game or if it's better to just throw some more money at it and keep it for another 5 years or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Elder

What color is the smoke on start up?

If it's blue, your GT-17 might be on it's way out. If it's white, its normal
Old 11-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
I just finished doing my 90-100mile maintenance and here's the major things I did.

Flushed power steering system (probably not necessary, but I had a leaking hose anyways, and the old fluid was pretty nasty).
Flushed transmission oil (again old oil was nasty)
Replaced thermostat, coolant temp sensor and flushed coolant. The old coolant looked brand new, be sure to use the "good" stuff so it won't corrode the system (mercedes benz style, eEuroparts sells it as "lifetime" antifreeze).
Replaced spark plugs (this gets done every 6 months on this car anyways, since they're cheap)
Cleaned MAF (they sell MAF sensor cleaner at Napa)
Cleaned Air Filter element (I have the GenuineSaab open air system, but its probably a good idea to check/replace the regular air filter).
Replaced fuel filter.
Replaced the cabin air filter.

Here's whats left for my ~100mile service: Brake pads/rotors and fluid flush (rear brakes are started to squeel, I think they're almost done), drop the oil pan and clean the oil pickup screen.

I'm sure other people will add things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
What color is the smoke on start up?

If it's blue, your GT-17 might be on it's way out. If it's white, its normal
IMO it's white.

on the highway, if you get on it, it does NOT smoke at all.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscam84 View Post
I just finished doing my 90-100mile maintenance and here's the major things I did.

Flushed power steering system (probably not necessary, but I had a leaking hose anyways, and the old fluid was pretty nasty).
Flushed transmission oil (again old oil was nasty)
Replaced thermostat, coolant temp sensor and flushed coolant. The old coolant looked brand new, be sure to use the "good" stuff so it won't corrode the system (mercedes benz style, eEuroparts sells it as "lifetime" antifreeze).
Replaced spark plugs (this gets done every 6 months on this car anyways, since they're cheap)
Cleaned MAF (they sell MAF sensor cleaner at Napa)
Cleaned Air Filter element (I have the GenuineSaab open air system, but its probably a good idea to check/replace the regular air filter).
Replaced fuel filter.
Replaced the cabin air filter.

Here's whats left for my ~100mile service: Brake pads/rotors and fluid flush (rear brakes are started to squeel, I think they're almost done), drop the oil pan and clean the oil pickup screen.

I'm sure other people will add things.
I did 2 drain and fills on the tranny (3 qts at a time)
i replaced the air filter and fuel filter and spark plugs.
I got a new DI cassette as well

Old 11-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Here are some of the potential problems:
Car smokes for about 2 seconds on cold start.
SID is cooked
lights on the right half of the tach are out.
You say its white, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it is a turbo going bad, its usually pretty obviously blue smoke, and quite a bit of it. I'd just keep an eye on this to see if it gets worse.

There are a couple of different SID fixes short of buying a new one. I haven't tried any myself, but people who are handy with small electronics usually have some success.

As for dash lights, I have had the best luck with just slamming the top of the dash board with your hand. To get in and remove/replace bulbs takes a ton of time as most of the dash has to some out. And when you're done, one will inevitably stop working the next week anyways. I slam my dash whenever a bulb goes out, and it comes right back on.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #7

when's the timing belt due?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Elder

The chain isn't really a wear item. Mine looked good at 172k miles (this past weekend) I would do the serpentine belt every 50-60k. I'd also look at the tensioned pulley. There are billet aluminum versions for $60, or the stock one from eEuro for $30.

Here is the place to get the billet pulley:

http://wazeepulleys.com/saab/pulleys.htm
Old 11-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #9

oh, it's a chain. Ok.
is there a tensioner that needs to be serviced?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #10
Elder

Meh, kinda. There is a spring that keeps the plastic chain guides taught. You can see how it works in Dip's engine assembly tutorial:

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/2006..._Assembly/?all
Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
my 1999 9-5 has puffed a bit of smoke at start up for about the last 30K miles. everyone said , "aah, that GT17 is starting to go out!" Well I never lost any performance and it still works perfectly fine. Engine runs fine on the "stage 3 LPT" and the car will still do 150 mph. It's got 153K on it now. Aside from the occasional smoke at start up (which is worse if it's been sitting for more than 2 days) it runs as good as it ever did.

Things the car has had from the 100K-150K range has been , clutch, sway bar end links, SID, CCD, power window switch pack, Alarm module batteries, and though they did not fix the service theft alarm message, it did stop it from randomly going off when ever it wanted to.

I still need to fix, but not critically the rear suspension bushings, strut bearings, Brake booster and all the gauge cluster dash backlighting (bad bulbs that dropped out one at a time till they were all gone).

Relatively minor things from the 100-150K range, though it does nickel & dime you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.