2001 9-5 wagon won't start - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 98-09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
SAABeginner

2001 9-5 wagon won't start

I've got a 2001 aero wagon, I lent my car to my sister for a few days and apparently she ran out of gas. She filled it up and it started up after the second try.

She continued to drive it to work for another couple of days and then I went to pick it up, started just fine, I checked the oil and it was a quart low so I replaced it and I didn't drive it for another two days. The battery was dead. No problem , I jumped it and it was fine, drove it around, no hesitation or funny noises or anything. Another two days go by until I drive it again, I had to jump it again and this time It took almost a half an hour to start, it still didn't seem to have any issues, I drove it around for an hour and then went to the gym, when I came out an hour later I had to call my wife to come get me, we jumped it yet again and got it home and I went out to buy a new battery.

Well, now it won't even turn over. There's a low battery light(even with a brand new battery), the oil light(even with topped off oil) and the central warning light is on, but nothing shows up on the SID. I checked all the fuses in the door, I checked the battery connectors, and after some reading I tried to move the shifter(auto) around then start it, and tried to start it in neutral in case it was that neutral position switch.

Nothing.

The main difference i see between my problem and others is that it's not intermittent, unless the battery wasn't bad in the first place. I have never had any other major issues with the car in 135000 miles, the weather here is 70 or so so it's not cold/hot related.

Any thoughts?

thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Wolf Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Wolf
If she ran it completely out of gas I would check the fuel filter as there could have been something in the very bottom of the gas tank that would obstruct fuel flow.

As for the battery... It seems like you have some serious electrical issues. I'm no expert in that area, I would try turning the cabin switch to off as well as as turning the light switch to in between regular headlights and parking lights. It will sit there with the right touch and will not connect the circuit for either set of lights thus cutting power to both.
Put a charger on both batteries. Make sure they are not the problem by testing them in something else. My guess would a there is a short somewhere in the system.

Check the oil level as you would do normally just to make sure and under the car to check for leaks. Once you find the culprit of the electrical problem you then need to move on to why the car will not start.

2000 Saab 9-5 Sedan- Silver
2000 Saab 9-5 Wagon- White
2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon- Steel Grey
2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan- Steel Grey
2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan- Cosmic Blue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.