Key not accepted... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 98-09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Key not accepted...

So... go to drive home this morning and my key won't start the car. The SID is displaying "key not accepted", and the key will also not lock/unlock the doors with the remote. When I bought the car, used, from the dealer I only got the one key. I was told I would receive another one, but never heard anything and really forgot about it... until now. How totally fucked am I? Is this something that my CPO warranty would cover? From what I know of the TWICE unit, there is now no way to program a new key without a working one... right? So I think I need a new TWICE and two new keys??

Any ideas? The woman I talked to at the dealer had no idea, and I've been waiting to get a call back from a tech for a few hours now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero02 View Post
So... go to drive home this morning and my key won't start the car. The SID is displaying "key not accepted", and the key will also not lock/unlock the doors with the remote. When I bought the car, used, from the dealer I only got the one key. I was told I would receive another one, but never heard anything and really forgot about it... until now. How totally fucked am I? Is this something that my CPO warranty would cover? From what I know of the TWICE unit, there is now no way to program a new key without a working one... right? So I think I need a new TWICE and two new keys??

Any ideas? The woman I talked to at the dealer had no idea, and I've been waiting to get a call back from a tech for a few hours now.
well that just sucks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
You can get a used Twice and key set.

I have removed the code chip from a crushed integrated key for a local customer and put it an ebay transponder. 16p surface mount IC, half the size of my pinky nail.. nasty job but it worked. Saved the customer quite a bit.
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 08-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #4

Hmm, so you're saying that I could possibly take just the coded part of my key and put it into a blank? I already had the thing apart and nothing appears to be wrong... I just don't get it. It wasn't damaged in any way. Tried a new battery(that the dealer wanted like $35 for.. $2 at batteries plus) hoping that was it... bleh.

I also don't get how I can just be SOL that my key randomly dies and that its not a warranty item? Thats what the nice folks at Saab USA told me. I still haven't heard back from the dealer, and I probably won't unless I go down there. They suck.

If I'm looking for used TWICE and key sets, does it need to be a certain year? I have a 2002, will any 99+ work or 02-05? And it can just be married via TechII or what? Thanks for the input Nick.. this is seriously frustrating and no one I've spoken to so far seems to know/give a shit.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Is part of saabs CPO program to include two keys with the car?
Do you have it in writting that they owe you a key?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Stephen Z Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen Z
press the trunk button as you turn the ignition or before , its happened to me when i left my sunroof open and it rained . it freaked me out at first
Old 08-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
Elder

Could be the recver in the ignition. Take it apart there is a littel antenna wire there see if there is any problem

ALso I think My dealer said 02 and above ( or maybe it was 03) that you can reporgram the TWICE with no keys...
Old 08-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Could be the recver in the ignition. Take it apart there is a littel antenna wire there see if there is any problem

ALso I think My dealer said 02 and above ( or maybe it was 03) that you can reporgram the TWICE with no keys...
Thanks, I'll try that. My dealer has, so far, been extremely unhelpful. They literally told me 'I don't think there is anything you can do.' I had to bring up the fact of replacing the TWICE and was told 'that might work'.... Jesus.

It would be awesome if I didn't need a new TWICE... broke doesn't even begin to sum up my financial state right now.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Z View Post
press the trunk button as you turn the ignition or before , its happened to me when i left my sunroof open and it rained . it freaked me out at first
Wow, thanks. Fucking eh. I got it to start doing this, even though I had already tried holding the unlock button(which is what my manual said). So yeah, thanks again!

Now, what ended up being the problem when this happened to you? Did you just get a new key made? Or is it that wire that Jssaab mentioned, since you said you left your sunroof open in the rain. I called the dealer and told them what happened, and they had never heard of trying it and still had no answer. Before I go down there and deal with them I'd like to know what you figured out. They key still fails to lock/unlock the doors or open the trunk remotely, but at least I can drive!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Stephen Z Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen Z
I cleaned the antenna and the tumbler. And lubed the tumbler with electronics cleaner and lube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.