Service Theft Alarm. Alarm constantly going off. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 98-09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via ICQ to Chapel Send a message via AIM to Chapel
Service Theft Alarm. Alarm constantly going off.

So, recently I've been getting 'Service Theft Alarm' warnings on the SID and even MORE recently, the alarm has been going off constantly.
I've had it go off right in front of me and hitting buttons on the fob does nothing.
There's no fuse to pull to make it stop and I can guarantee I'm going to get a citation from my apartment complex for disturbing the peace at night.
I think if I don't arm it or lock the car, it won't go off, but that's no way to go.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Johnz826
You could disconnect the battery at night till u take it to the dealer ship to have it fixed, It may be a pain to keep doin that everynight but that's the only thing i can think of.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
try this. next time you go to get out of the car, shut it off and take out the key. then hold the night panel button and change the setting.

see if that makes a difference.

http://www.nesaab.org/forum

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
When that message came up on my SID the batteries inside the siren had to be replaced. Trouble is the dealer said that the entire siren had to be replaced. It was covered under certification for me though so it wasn't such a big deal.

I'm not sure if the message can mean other components in the alarm need to be checked.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
Elder

Garage
You need a battery for the alarm system - which is the siren/battery in the drivers wheel well area - it's not a hard fix, but a common one for a 9-5
Old 08-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
SAABeginner

Here's a DIY guide for the battery replacement. I'm also going to do this soon, but mine's not going sounding that often so I'm putting it off.
http://home.datacomm.ch/saeuberli/fi..._batteries.pdf
Old 08-21-2006, 04:17 AM   #7

any way to disable the alarm until I get time to do it?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to friggin viggen
using the night panel button with the key out i think

Stärka = NVIGR8 = To impart vigor, strength, or vitality to
6/3/06 - 224whp/285wtq
Old 08-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #9

okie. lets see
reeeeeally don't want to get a citation...
Old 08-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

if you use the keyhole to lock the door it doesnt set the alarm.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #11

Actually, tried that last night
the alarm still went off
haven't heard it today.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
Elder

USE THE NIGHT PANEL BUTTON WHEN YOU TAKE THE KEY OUT!

and yes i meant for caps lock.
that will shut off the alarm!

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #13
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StX221 View Post
try this. next time you go to get out of the car, shut it off and take out the key. then hold the night panel button and change the setting.

see if that makes a difference.
I am having the same problem where the alarm goes off randomly and hitting the key fob does not turn it off. I don't understand what this night panel button do in regard to the alarm? Can you please provide more specifics on what can be done?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #14
Elder

Wow. you are making me think now. I think if I remember right, take the key out, then hold the night panel button and it will allow you to change a couple things for the alarm settings.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 12-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
SAABeginner

I am a little confused on how the alarm system works. The 9-5 SE manual implies that the alarm system works without the main 12v battery. Thus if a thief disconnects the battery, the alarm is still active.
So confusion #1 is that a couple of people on this forum have suggested simply disconnecting the main battery will stop the alarm.

Confusion #2 is what would cause the alarm to go off on its own if the alarm lithium batteries (Sanyo CR17335) are weak and need to be replaced? You would think with all the OBD2 codes and SID panel reporting that low alarm batteries would be a reportable item.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
Elder

COnfusiton #1, no it will not stop the alarm

Confusion #2. When the alarm batteries are low, you will often get service theft alarm on the SID. It will not differentiate whether it is the batteries or another issue. To be sure you will need a TECH II to diagnose. So some people change the batteries when they get the SID notifiaciton and still have an issue. That is becsuae it prolly was not the Batteries in the first place.

Best bet is to check with a TECH II to make sure weak bateries are the problem ( but it is such an easy fix, most people will just try it sans techII diagnosis.)

TEh random alarm issue coems from the weak batteries since the sytem detech a reset as the voltage drops ( not often at night as it gets cooler)
Old 12-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #17
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
COnfusiton #1, no it will not stop the alarm

Confusion #2. When the alarm batteries are low, you will often get service theft alarm on the SID. It will not differentiate whether it is the batteries or another issue. To be sure you will need a TECH II to diagnose. So some people change the batteries when they get the SID notifiaciton and still have an issue. That is becsuae it prolly was not the Batteries in the first place.

Best bet is to check with a TECH II to make sure weak bateries are the problem ( but it is such an easy fix, most people will just try it sans techII diagnosis.)

TEh random alarm issue coems from the weak batteries since the sytem detech a reset as the voltage drops ( not often at night as it gets cooler)
Thank you for the clarification. For what it is worth, in my case I have not seen any display on the SID in regard to the alarm. What I have seen (or heard) is an occasional sounding of the alarm for a few seconds as it simply sits in my driveway. However yesterday the alarm went off for real (loud and persistent). The alarm did not seem to stop when I unlocked the doors. This happened twice in close chronological sequence. That was when I disconnected the battery and also unlocked my doors and left it unlocked overnight.

Also what is a TECH II? I assume this is some sort of ODB2 device that the dealer would have?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:07 AM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotnetman View Post
Thank you for the clarification. For what it is worth, in my case I have not seen any display on the SID in regard to the alarm. What I have seen (or heard) is an occasional sounding of the alarm for a few seconds as it simply sits in my driveway. However yesterday the alarm went off for real (loud and persistent). The alarm did not seem to stop when I unlocked the doors. This happened twice in close chronological sequence. That was when I disconnected the battery and also unlocked my doors and left it unlocked overnight.

Also what is a TECH II? I assume this is some sort of ODB2 device that the dealer would have?
Yes the TECH II Does OBDII Reading and a lot more. It connects to SAAB OBD and controls. It can change adjustments like having doors lock automatically at 7 mph , number of beeps from the alam when locking doors, program new keys and so on...

Yes it sounds like batteries in the alarm unit. Take tit out, solder in new batteries and you should be good to go. You could take it to the dealer and have them Diagnose the Alarm and see what they say. If it tells them Batteries are weak they will tell you to repalce the unit, pay them for the tech II time - my dealer does not ussually make me pay, take it home and repalce the battteries. Make sure they tell uyou what it says it will say weak alarm batteis but they might not tell you since they are "not" replacable...
Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #19
Kad
Avid TSL User

i did replace batteries but it did not help , alarm go of anyway like once a day for 2-3 seconds, and my remote control stop working to!!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #20
Elder

So, you rplaced the batteries in the speaker box? There may be another fault in the wiring or something, you might be able to get it diagnised with a tech ii to see if there is another fault.

SOem people find that after replacing batteries they did not have enough power ( old batteries off the shelf) to work correctly. Did you check the voltage and current of the "new" batteries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.