Saab Link Forums banner

Viggen antenna install

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeremy R. 
#1 ·
Switching from the power unit to the roof mount. I know gs stopped selling vig antennas a while ago. They used to be dirt cheap like 15 bucks. I looked up some the other day and they were like 100! Any cheap ways to get one again?

#7 ·
okay at the moment i am simply exploring my options. i really dis like the power mast unit on the side of the car. mine gets really bad reception and it makes my car look like an rc car haha. maybe a sharkfin on the roof? anyone have pictures of modified antenna setups?

#8 ·
You can get adapters, but check the connections on your radio first. I think the 9-3's would have the coaxial amplified connector, but my 900 had the typical male female connector. A stock Viggen antennae is going to have the coaxial connector, where as the knock offs,, most likely will have the male/female type connector.

I get way better reception without amplification from my antennae.

Vig style Antennae on 900

#9 ·
I think that even the Viggen's original antenna had the signal and amplifier wires separate. VW seems to be the only company that combines them into one. I used to have a Metra 44-UA46, which mounts in a round or square hole, and has separate power and signal wires, so it was easy to install. It lasted a couple of years before the amplifier crapped out. Right now I have a VW amplified roof antenna, but I had to get the antenna cable out of a VW to wire it up (their bases use a proprietary connector), along with an adapter to separate the power and signal wires. My thought is that now it's relatively cheap to replace the base or gasket since VW antenna bases are so common.

#13 ·
Shark fins aren't really any good at picking up radio stations. They're more for GPS and cell phone use. A regular 9-3 has separate antenna power and signal connections. The antenna power connection is in the ISO connection block, and the car uses a European ISO antenna connector, the same as VWs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.