Saab Link Forums banner

Help - Saab Warning, Gearbox malfunction limited performance. Contact saab. Does any

64K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Vampish 
#1 ·
Help - Saab Warning

Gearbox malfunction limited performance. Contact saab

Does anyone know what this is? It just came on this AM, car only has 14K miles

#2 ·
Please don't double post, please go back and remove the thread you placed in the website problems section.

Now I know you have a 9-3SS, and I assume an autobox. Only thing to do is to take it to the dealer and have them read the code with a TechII scan tool. Maybe you have a small tranny leak and the fluid got low, hard to say.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#3 ·
big problem with aoutos falty radiators, the part that is trans cooler goes bad and mixes with coolant which gets sent back to the trans and then bam trans goes out, have it checked out asap

#9 ·
Gearbox Malfunction

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news...I have had five gearbox malfunctions in three months. All of which left me stranded somewhere as the car just died. Limited performance basically means you have about five miles and then you're done! I have been very upset. At first it was sensors, and the local SAAB dealer somehow made the mistake of putting in the same bad snesors, how that happens beats me. I have been so disappointed with this car. I have only owned it 11 months. My parents have always driven SAABS and they tended to be on the very reliable side so I thought I would be safe and I think I leaning a different way now.

#10 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear of your misfortune with your new ride.

The only thing that pops into my head, alexis, is a problem that has presented itself on a number of occassions, i.e., have a look at your transmission housing/the electrical connections that you can see on it and see if there's any crud (grease/oil) build-up on them that could contribute to a faulty connection..., the connectors themselves could also be loose from the stealership in there tinkering with shit, and it does'nt hurt to check.
Another possibility occurs to me..., it could just be that you're a hott girl and the stealership likes having you come in so that they can watch you walk in, and out, to make their day..., who knows, but since you've had repeated issues with the tranny and you've only patronized the one dealership, perhaps it's time you sought out an "indie", or another stealership (I'm sure that the peeps here could point you in the right direction)"?"

Good luck with that and I hope that you're Saab experience gets better for you.:)

#11 ·
I am so happy to say the problem has been fixed! Luckily, I don't drive much and the car was still under warranty. They put a new transmission in as well as a new radiator and made TONS of cosmetic repairs. Also, I'm not sure if anyone else has the problem, I've seen lots of cars with this, but my outside door handles were turning white, I took it in and asked if it would be covered under warranty and sure enough they replaced ALL of them. I am very happy with INDY SAAB and will totally continue to take my car there even after the warranty. They had the car 9 days and it came back to me like a brand new car!

#14 ·
I'm by no means the first, there have been many, and ALL 9-3's and all I have heard of so far either 2003 or 04. The problem is coolant leaking into the tranny. However, SAAB was great with fixing the problem in the end and that's all I care about. The new tranny comes with an extended warranty and I'm pretty confident the problems are done.

#15 · (Edited)
I'm by no means the first, there have been many, and ALL 9-3's and all I have heard of so far either 2003 or 04. The problem is coolant leaking into the tranny. However, SAAB was great with fixing the problem in the end and that's all I care about. The new tranny comes with an extended warranty and I'm pretty confident the problems are done.
If this is all that it was, it can be easily remedied by plugging/capping off the radiator's inlet fittings and installing a stand-alone, satellite cooler (like some of the old C900's had) on the lines off of the trans. housing (which is what I did with mine).

It's was less expensive than all of the (unfortunate) B.S. you and others had to go through..., but no one listens to me, afterall, it's not like I know what I'm talking about.:rolleyes:

Glad to here that it's all fixed and that you're Saab happy again.

#16 ·
that is not a saab factory repair. perhaps if the car was out of warranty some independent could rig up something like that, but dealers do factory repairs with factory parts.

#17 ·
Yes, the "dealers do factory repairs" with the same (faulty) "factory parts" that were the root of the problem to start with..., oh well, you can't beat a "warranty" repair, now can you?!

Just keep my tip in mind for future reference when the uh, "warranty", runs out, and hope that it's not at the same time that the problem develops again.

#19 ·
I was really dissatisfied by this car and I had to sell it.

I am Previous Saab owner i had the 2004 9-3, but unfortunately i had to sell it because of the problems that came with this beautiful car.
Most important one was the "Gear box malfunction". the problem started after 8 months of owning the car. i took it to the dealer more than 8 times on different occasions due to the same problem every time they fix it and it goes wrong again. They installed a new gear, new sensors but again the same problem kept happening
my parents used to drive a saab long time ago and never had a problem with it. i guess Saab's started to come with all those defaults after being soled to GM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.